• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays business banking... these £5.50 monthly charges ... and PCG

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Cater Allen, an old favourite.
    Yep. Totally free. Decent enough....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      Banks, who'd have them.

Have been considering moving for some time now, Lloyds also charge a £5 monthly fee, its the principal when I have a £40k balance with them.

Its just works so well having personal and business together, and don't want to move all my personal DDs as that always turns into a nightmare.

I could
      1. Move bank accounts save £5 per month
      2. Move accountants save £42 per month

I changed business insurance providers this year and saved £450.

What else could we save money on?
      Business mobile phone, business telephone and broadband package?

BTW it's not a hassle moving your direct debits over - you just need to do it yourself instead of letting the bank do it. The **** ups always happen when the bank does it as some businesses, mainly telephony and broadband ones, refuse to play ball quoting the Data Protection Act. (More likely they are too cheap to employ staff to do it off the phone.)

Alternatively if FP works well for the bank you are with, and the new business bank then leave your personal account where it is.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Yes it's only £5.50 a month, or £66 a year, but these 'account fees' that Barclays charge me are bloody annoying.

Alternatively I'll just move to another business account provider. Yes it is a bit of hassle but I just find it so frustrating that Barclays are such c**ks.
        Barclays are the most rubbish bank I know, and that's saying a lot. Move to Cater Allen.

Contractors sometimes start out with Barclays as it seems to easy to get into. Then they move up when they get wise.
        Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
          Barclays are the most rubbish bank I know, and that's saying a lot. Move to Cater Allen.

Contractors sometimes start out with Barclays as it seems to easy to get into. Then they move up when they get wise.
          How fast are transfers from Cater Allen to other banks? If I were to leave my personal a/c with Barclays and pay my salary from Cater, would I have to wait 3 - 5 days for the cash to transfer?

Barclays are OK for me generally; it's just their charges that I find most annoying... oh and the virtually non-existent interest on my cash balance.

Comment

How fast are transfers from Cater Allen to other banks? If I were to leave my personal a/c with Barclays and pay my salary from Cater, would I have to wait 3 - 5 days for the cash to transfer?

Barclays are OK for me generally; it's just their charges that I find most annoying... oh and the virtually non-existent interest on my cash balance.
            I remember someone telling me last year that Cater Allen hadn't implemented Faster Payments yet, maybe they have now. That's what you need to know if you need same-day transfers for free. Most other banks have.

Comment

Day 1 : Initiate external transfer of funds.
              Day 2 : Money disappears into the ether.
              Day 3 : Pops up in personal account.

I've never had any issues with Cater Allen bank. Their call centre staff are v.well spoken. I have to up my accent when I call them.

Comment

I'm with Cater Allen and the 3 working days does irk somewhat. Does anyone know if the 3 working days still applies if transferring to a Santander Personal Current account (since Cater Allen are part of Santander)?
                Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Link for Cater Allen: Free bank account

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                    I've never had any issues with Cater Allen bank. Their call centre staff are v.well spoken. I have to up my accent when I call them.
                    And when you call Barclays you need to put on a thick subcontinental accent just to make yourself understood.
                    Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
                      And when you call Barclays you need to put on a thick subcontinental accent just to make yourself understood.
                      That definitely doesn't work.

I've overheard some people from the subcontinent on the phone doing some banking enquires.

Needless to say my conclusion from their increased frustration, asking what their mother tongue was and them slamming the phone down is that regardless of where you are from some call centres are delibrately tulip.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X