• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays business banking... these £5.50 monthly charges ... and PCG

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barclays business banking... these £5.50 monthly charges ... and PCG

Chaps and Chappette(s)

Yes it's only £5.50 a month, or £66 a year, but these 'account fees' that Barclays charge me are bloody annoying. Why? Because I have a considerable sum sitting in their Business saver account (or whatever it's called) earning piddly all interest and no doubt they are leveraging this to the hilt to earn them money.

I understand that the PCG have 'preferential' terms for contractors using Barclays. Has anyone had experience of this and is it better than the usual 'free automated transactions' banking? (free except for the monthly fee).

Alternatively I'll just move to another business account provider. Yes it is a bit of hassle but I just find it so frustrating that Barclays are such c**ks.

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Chaps and Chappette(s)

Yes it's only £5.50 a month, or £66 a year, but these 'account fees' that Barclays charge me are bloody annoying. Why? Because I have a considerable sum sitting in their Business saver account (or whatever it's called) earning piddly all interest and no doubt they are leveraging this to the hilt to earn them money.

I understand that the PCG have 'preferential' terms for contractors using Barclays. Has anyone had experience of this and is it better than the usual 'free automated transactions' banking? (free except for the monthly fee).

Alternatively I'll just move to another business account provider. Yes it is a bit of hassle but I just find it so frustrating that Barclays are such c**ks.
    Oi, that is my client. Go abuse your own client...

Actually... your £66 is going towards paying my rate so stick with Barclays IMO.....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I refuse to pay for a personal or business bank account whilst in credit.

I don't need some gormless teenager/recent graduate trying to sell me something I don't want.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Some folks don't like Santander, but for a totally free, no frills business account I do not think you can better it.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Cater Allen, an old favourite.

Comment

I get my business banking through the Co-op, completely free through my FSB membership. Had absolutely no problems with them in the many years I've used them.

I see no reason to pay for business banking for the transactions I do. I'm not exactly a corner shop needing bags of change and lots of cash banking, it's all electronic stuff so it needs no human attention on their side.

Comment

Barclays Business Banking and PCG preferential...

I went for this some years ago, the deal is only for one year then you are stuffed with charges once again. I was a bit miffed because I don't recall them saying it up front.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                I went for this some years ago, the deal is only for one year then you are stuffed with charges once again. I was a bit miffed because I don't recall them saying it up front.
                Thanks for confirming this, it's kind of what I expected, i.e. I didn't expect the PCG to pull enough weight to be able to pull off a good deal with Barclays. Thanks all for your posts too.

I'm going to open up a Santander account. I'll probably leave a little cash in Barclays in case the banks start collapsing, so at least I have wider insurance coverage then.

I don't expect there are any problems with having 2 bank accounts for one Ltd, but please do shout if there are!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I refuse to pay for a personal or business bank account whilst in credit.
                  Agreed. Why should we pay them to look after our money?
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                    Agreed. Why should we pay them to look after our money?
                    Banks, who'd have them.

Have been considering moving for some time now, Lloyds also charge a £5 monthly fee, its the principal when I have a £40k balance with them.

Its just works so well having personal and business together, and don't want to move all my personal DDs as that always turns into a nightmare.

I could
                    1. Move bank accounts save £5 per month
                    2. Move accountants save £42 per month

I changed business insurance providers this year and saved £450.

What else could we save money on?
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X