• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush? Best way to stall?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10% doesn't sound like that much of a difference - if you look at it from a 3 month timeframe (so 60 billable days at best), and the fact that you could be starting contract 1 today, it becomes more profitable to start billing now after 6 working days (can anyone confirm the math?)

Comment

Go for the bird in the hand. It's an approach I always take, I've never been out of work and only once regretted the policy.

If you start Offer 1 a week before offer 2 is likely to turn up:-
      Offer 1 is £500 a day and assuming offer 2 is 10% more,
      you'd earn £2,500 for the 5 working days which would mean to make that extra amount in the second contract would take 50 days to generate. That's 2 1/2 months. And it might not happen. And the first offer might evaporate.

Bird in the hand......opportunity cost....mutter...

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
        Go for the bird in the hand. It's an approach I always take, I've never been out of work and only once regretted the policy.

If you start Offer 1 a week before offer 2 is likely to turn up:-
        Offer 1 is £500 a day and assuming offer 2 is 10% more,
        you'd earn £2,500 for the 5 working days which would mean to make that extra amount in the second contract would take 50 days to generate. That's 2 1/2 months. And it might not happen. And the first offer might evaporate.

Bird in the hand......opportunity cost....mutter...
        cheers. i agree. I went for the 2 in the bush. still waiting for contract 2 to come through and less likely to be able to get myself accepted back to contract 1.

Comment

Working...
        X