• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush? Best way to stall?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush? Best way to stall?

Am currently on bench. Have been there since Christmas.

Have been offered contract 1 and have been interviewed (favourably I felt) for contract 2. Contract 2 pays 10% more and saves 40 minutes each way on commute. Would you stall hoping for contract 2 to come through? If so what are the best ways? Any steer appreciated.

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    Am currently on bench. Have been there since Christmas.

Have been offered contract 1 and have been interviewed (favourably I felt) for contract 2. Contract 2 pays 10% more and saves 40 minutes each way on commute. Would you stall hoping for contract 2 to come through? If so what are the best ways? Any steer appreciated.
    Usual, subject to contract viewing and review, can waste a day or 2, plus a day or so actual stalling to respond.

Did contract 2 give you an ETA for a response?
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      Usual, subject to contract viewing and review, can waste a day or 2, plus a day or so actual stalling to respond.

Did contract 2 give you an ETA for a response?
      I told them that I need a response quickly. I am hoping for something within a week. In the meantime contract 1 is an opportunity cost that I am bearing by stalling and not starting

Comment

I usually accept "subject to paperwork" then put pressure on contract 2. Try to slow the paperwork down - maybe say you have sent it for IR35 review?

Comment

'Subject to contract review' is the line I use. QDOS take up to 7 days to do a review and will send a mail saying this if I need to evidence with the agent. Of course in hard times this could become 10 but I would start to get nervous past that.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Maybe I'm niave but I'm always upfront about such things, in fact, even if I've only 1 offer, I always say I've more than one.

That way I *hope* to be subject to less rate squeeze.

Then to agent number 2, I tell them i have a firm offer that needs a response by a drop-dead date and ask them to inform the client that I need a decison by then. If they don't respond, then I take the 1st contract but usually you hear back.

If contract 2 comes through, then i write a nice email to agent one, to pass on, stating the reasons for turning it down despite the wonderful oppertunity it would be to work there, praising the interviewers.

That way when that role comes up in the future and you might have no other options, you'll be looked at favourably.
            Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

If you've already been interviewed they should be able to make a decision now or in the next day or two.

Tell no 2. you want the contract but that you already have a contract offer and ask them how long they need. If the don't get back play safe and go for the current contract. Lets face it at 10% more there will be stiffer competition.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Pick some bits of the first contract offer that you dont like, flag it \ them to the agent as you would like resolution with the client.

Agent will take a day or so especially if you turn your phone off (but back on from time to time for the second offer).

Once these issues are resolved say you are having the contract reviewed in line with your professional insurances.

But, you also need to badger the agent about the second role while all this is on going. Make them aware there is an offer on the table and the first client is pushing for an answer.

You've got to play them off against each other at the same time when you need a quick decision.

All said and done though, if you arent getting the vibes the second agent is pushing for a quick turnaround, make sure you dont lose offer 1.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Go for the 1st one. If 2nd comes along, then you can always put your notice in. Alternatively, let both the clients know, that you are considering your options. Client A might come back with 10% increase to match Client B. Client B might quicken up the process.

Either ways, good luck.

Dave.
                  Last edited by rd409; 17 January 2012, 13:36.

Comment

Every time I have been in this situation, which seems to have been a few times recently, the 2nd contract (even though it looked certain) hasn't come off, so luckily have taken the first one every time. So I would stall to a certain extent, but I guess "bird in the hand" every time for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X