• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract renewals with Indian cos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract renewals with Indian cos

contracting with LBG for 9 months now and my contract will not be renewed. been told that LBG is going down the managed services route to cut down on costs, so if I would like to continue working there I could explore options with the usual Indian suspects TCS, wipro,...

does anybody know if its worth exploring that route? current daily rate is around 550, pretty skeptical that these cos will pay anywhere near that rate.

would be keen to hear views and experiences of people contracting through such indian cos.

Not done it myself, a mate did it though (TATA I think) and swore he would never do it again. Got a 3 month contract, to deliver something but in reality he had to train a bunch of Indians on how to do his job for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks they terminated his contract with no notice and that was it. They're out to screw us for our knowledge and possibly to win contracts but then all work will go to Indians. A generalisation of course, but be aware.

Comment

Originally posted by klusener View Post
      does anybody know if its worth exploring that route? current daily rate is around 550, pretty skeptical that these cos will pay anywhere near that rate.
      and i think you've just answered your own question

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
        Not done it myself, a mate did it though (TATA I think) and swore he would never do it again. Got a 3 month contract, to deliver something but in reality he had to train a bunch of Indians on how to do his job for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks they terminated his contract with no notice and that was it. They're out to screw us for our knowledge and possibly to win contracts but then all work will go to Indians. A generalisation of course, but be aware.
        Where's that Like button?

Totally agree, I've seen this happen before and it's sure as hell happening more and more.

Comment

But you get free ring dings with the services you are providings which is an upgrading of your current dealings.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Good news!

MSN India - Wipro to hire 50% local staff in onsite locations
            Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

Define locals in this new story and then you might see it isn't good news.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I was a permie at an Indian telco's UK operation and it was a real eye-opener. The company feels they own you as they've been so kind to employ you - it's like the stories of Japanese company men in the 80s and they've developed arse covering and blame shifting to high art.
                Most of the time my customers were Indian SIs and they were even more disorganised and treated suppliers like something they found on their shoe, even when you saved them from a complete cock-up. What really amazed me was the abuse of the work permit system. Now I can kind of understand a techie needing to have "special knowledge of the company" but no one can tell me there's any excuse for shipping in sales guys!
                I joked with my manager when I quit that I'd be replaced by an Indian and he said it would never happen but I rang him a couple of months later and surprise, surprise someone had flown in from Chennai.

Comment

Just to put some perspective on things I hired an Indian for a contract role as a network designer in 2006 and he held his own in a team of very competent people. I left the company in 2008 but we kept in contact on Linkedin and he recommended me for a role last year which has ended up being one of the best contracts I have had so far in terms of rate and role specification.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Define locals in this new story and then you might see it isn't good news.
                    I like the line... "Many of those hired are American citizens of Indian origin"

I reckon 95%?

Comment

Working...
                    X