• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How helpful is a Prince 2 certification?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How helpful is a Prince 2 certification?

I have been a contract business analyst for over 7 years. I have an Ivy League MBA and have learnt much more than Prince 2 can ever teach. While I havent felt the need for a certification, I wonder if I am actually losing out on potentialy higher rates and superior roles because of that. I wanted to pick some brains of others who might have had similar thoughts.
    Last edited by AnthonyQuinn; 1 April 2012, 18:12. Reason: Spelling Mistakes

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    I have been a contract business analyst for over 7 years. I have an Ivy League MBA and have learnt much more than Prince 2 can ever teach. While I havent felt the need for a certification, I wonder if I am actually losing out on potentialy higher rates and superior roles because of that. I wanted to pick some brains of others who might have had similar thoughts.
    Need to correct more spelling mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
      In an oversubscribed market place, having a good paper qualification will trump years of experience almost every time.

If you can afford it, go for it. See if you can find a self study course via DVD or CD though as agents \ training providers can rip you off with extortionate fees.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If I'm hiring a PM, it doesn't impress me at all, I want to see evidence of you having actually delivered something. However, since you have to impress a double-glazing salesman with zero knowledge of your business, they are quite valuable. Just don't wave it in front of the professionals!
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          If I'm hiring a PM, it doesn't impress me at all, I want to see evidence of you having actually delivered something. However, since you have to impress a double-glazing salesman with zero knowledge of your business, they are quite valuable. Just don't wave it in front of the professionals!
          This^

I've found that in recent years the only thing clients are interested in is who you last worked for (they want to see a big name) and what the project was (they want to see a big project.) Agencies tell me pretty much the same thing - it's your last role or two that matters; everything else is hugely secondary.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            This^

I've found that in recent years the only thing clients are interested in is who you last worked for (they want to see a big name) and what the project was (they want to see a big project.) Agencies tell me pretty much the same thing - it's your last role or two that matters; everything else is hugely secondary.
            I agree. PRINCE2 is also used around the commonwealth (India, Australia etc.) so it can be useful for contracts in those markets too.

As has probably been mentioned before PRINCE2 does not teach you how to manage projects - it's a method for defining projects (documentation, product breakdown etc.) and managing by exception.
            Last edited by redgiant; 2 April 2012, 08:49.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
              I agree. PRINCE2 is also used around the commonwealth (India, Australia etc.) so it can be useful for contracts in those markets too.

As has probably been mentioned before PRINCE2 does not teach you how to manage projects - it's a method for defining projects (documentation, product breakdown etc.) and managing by exception.
              Don't forget most people that have done PRINCE2 course will also be aware that the course teaches you nothing except how to pass the exam and stick a crap load of sticky tabs in you PRINCE book. The course itself with no evidence of application is next to useless. Might impress the agents but not someone that has been on it.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Don't forget most people that have done PRINCE2 course will also be aware that the course teaches you nothing except how to pass the exam and stick a crap load of sticky tabs in you PRINCE book. The course itself with no evidence of application is next to useless. Might impress the agents but not someone that has been on it.
                Oh yes the sticky tabs ... remember them well. The practitioner exam has got easier now it too has gone to multiple choice like the foundation exam.

When agents use key word searches to filter out CVs it's worth having it on there if you get the majority of work through agents. If you get most of your work from referrals then it's not going to be that useful IMO compared to real world experience.

Comment

Thanks a ton. have been fortunate to have got every single contract (bar the first) through personal referrals rather than agents. So understand the lower value of paper qualifications.

Comment

Mine expired two yrs ago and my last two contracts havent even asked for it!! As a PM they care about budget, delivery, matrix mgmt and success.

In fact the only place that asked for it during the last 5 yrs was because they use it. After walking through the door and me being a pedantic ass pointing out that they didnt know how to use, they soon accepted that they didnt know how and I got an extension so I could implement it.

It's a load of tosh, but make sure you can initiate, review and close a project in Prince2 terms. But remember that ability to really deliver is all that matters.
                    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                    X