• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOMED - but no rate increase!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOOMED - but no rate increase!

Hmmm. Mega busy here so I don't think it was ever in question but client is completely pissing me off when the subject of rate comes up. In sterling terms, I've lost a fair bit since I started but they don't seem interested in this.

All sorted via central head office it seems who have a no increase policy...

Yes, I know - have the bazonkas and walk away....

Might do next time its up for renewal. Suits me to stay for now but, remaining professional at all times, I think they've just about used up their good will and freebies from me for now. No more phoning me at 9pm at night for a quick call to help someone out.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Are you sure you mean bazonkas???

I think you meant kahunas (bring it on) you bazonka !
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Are you sure you mean bazonkas???

I think you meant kahunas (bring it on) you bazonka !
      Or do you mean Cojones?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Well mine are so big I call them bazonkas!

(Incidentally, I did used to have an email address bertiebigbollox@....)
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Well mine are so big I call them bazonkas!

(Incidentally, I did used to have an email address bertiebigbollox@....)
          There are two types of people, them that have to talk about it, and them that have it...

Comment

In these tough economic times, it's to be expected.

And as it always is, it's a buisness decision for both them and you to make.

That being said, they are taking a risk, you might decide to leave and take buisness knowledge with you. On the other hand what you do might well be 10 a penny and they know they could replace you easily.

Comment

Where on earth has this attitude of increase on extension come from? I've noticed it alot over the last few years. You're no more valuable now, than you were at the beginning of your contract (unless someone has shot everyone else with your skill set in the meantime), so why would anyone give you a raise?

There are tonnes of benched people out there, chomping at the bit to get into these contracts - it's a buyers market - so unless some kind of drought of contractors in your specific skills area has arisen, I would suggest that in this economic climate, you should be grateful to be offered more work instead of being benched - not getting hacked off because a client won't pay you more for a job you've been happy to do at this rate for the previous 3, 6, 12 months.
              "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                Where on earth has this attitude of increase on extension come from? I've noticed it alot over the last few years. You're no more valuable now, than you were at the beginning of your contract (unless someone has shot everyone else with your skill set in the meantime), so why would anyone give you a raise?
                It's just hidden permie mentality that is creeping in to contracting now it is getting so diluted.

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                  Of course you are more valuable now. You now have intimate knowledge with the systems, have probably showed that not only can you do the job on paper, but you're actually bloody good at it in practise.

You are a known quantity, if they let you go they may get someone else in for the same money who is rubbish, or if takes them a month to get up to speed. If you divide that month cost into a year it easily pay for a nice rate increase.

Taking all this aside, all businesses put their prices up every year, so do suppliers, if only to cover inflation. As a contractor you are no different.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    It's just hidden permie mentality that is creeping in to contracting now it is getting so diluted.
                    I agree to an extent but all businesses increase their prices from time to time and not always annually ie every 90 days, 6 months or as soon as their costs go up.

I once worked for the same client for nearly 3.5 years and for 3 of those years never asked for an increase. Why? Because I knew the client was rate conscious (sp?), I liked the gaff and the other T&C's were good.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X