• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Extension Schedule makes not reference to original contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Extension Schedule makes not reference to original contract

My contract is up for renewal and my agency (AC) have sent me "PSC Contract Schedule" to sign online. This schedule though seems to make no reference to the original contract. It's got the following sections:
    1. Company Details
    2. Project Details
    3. Rate Details
    4. Resources (The company shall provide the following resources, blah, blah, blah...)
    5. Signatures

but does not mention the word "extension" or refer to the T&Cs of the original contract.

Am I being over cautious or just stupid here or should I expect it to reference the original contract?

Originally posted by openshac View Post
    My contract is up for renewal and my agency (AC) have sent me "PSC Contract Schedule" to sign online. This schedule though seems to make no reference to the original contract. It's got the following sections:
    1. Company Details
    2. Project Details
    3. Rate Details
    4. Resources (The company shall provide the following resources, blah, blah, blah...)
    5. Signatures
    but does not mention the word "extension" or refer to the T&Cs of the original contract.

Am I being over cautious or just stupid here or should I expect it to reference the original contract?
    Is this your first ever extension?

A schedule doesn't have to make any references to a previous schedule, as long as it has the new start date and new end date. Some (if not most) schedules will be separate from the whole contract. If that is the case with you, check the wording of your contract to see what it says about extensions. If it mentions it, then assume that you are covered in terms of extensions. If it makes no references to extensions, get in touch with the agency.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      Is this your first ever extension?

A schedule doesn't have to make any references to a previous schedule, as long as it has the new start date and new end date. Some (if not most) schedules will be separate from the whole contract. If that is the case with you, check the wording of your contract to see what it says about extensions. If it mentions it, then assume that you are covered in terms of extensions. If it makes no references to extensions, get in touch with the agency.
      In the past when I've extended a contract I've just signed a full contract again. I've just had a close look at the schedule and the there is a "Project Number" listed which is the same at the "Contract Number" on the original contract.

Apart from that there is no reference to the original contract. I can't see anything in the original contract that refers to extensions either.

Comment

In the past when I've extended a contract I've just signed a full contract again. I've just had a close look at the schedule and the there is a "Project Number" listed which is the same at the "Contract Number" on the original contract.

Apart from that there is no reference to the original contract. I can't see anything in the original contract that refers to extensions either.
        Then get on to the agency and ask them to mention the original contract in the extension.

Do you want us to wipe your a*** for you as well?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Then get on to the agency and ask them to mention the original contract in the extension.

Do you want us to wipe your a*** for you as well?
          I had already asked them and they've just got back to me mentioning the Project Number. IMHO it seems rather tenuous, which is why I posted here to ask what is common practice.

Comment

I had already asked them and they've just got back to me mentioning the Project Number. IMHO it seems rather tenuous, which is why I posted here to ask what is common practice.
            It's normal practice for agencies to be awkward. As far as I am concerned, if your schedule shows the same project / contract number as your previous schedule / contract, then you can assume that the contract has been extended. If the agency presents a new contract, you can assume the old contract has been terminated and a new terms and conditions are being provided.

If HMRC gets funny about things, tell them to prove that your new Schedule will make you inside IR35.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

There is no common practice as pmeswani says agencies do what they want.

Last client I got the schedule with different dates on it. As the schedule was a massive document itself I had to read that to confirm it was the same.

There as another client every extension was a new contract from the agency with different T&Cs. So everytime it was major negotiation as some of the terms were just daft.
              Last edited by SueEllen; 16 October 2012, 10:53.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X