• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much would you charge for this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would you charge for this?

Hi,

I would like to have your opinions about how much I should charge for this kind of job:
    0. Create a web-based CMS system to be used to managed songs/albums and usage (in the sense of when and how frequently songs are published to the public, broadcasted on radios, tvs, etc.)
    1. It requires a fairly simple (~10 tables) database
    2. It requires a fancy UI to manage the database
    3. It requires processing of input feeds with usage of songs information
    4. It produces reports like: "top 10 most popular song", "top 10 most valuable songs", etc.

This is my first job as contractor and I have no idea how much I should charge!
    Thanks in advance,
    L.

How long will it take you and how much is the average daily rate for this skillset? That's what you need to be asking yourself.

Comment

£100 which should just about cover someone to re-write your CV so you can get a permie job again.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Depends how much Last.fm sue's you for stealing their idea
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

May I refer the learned gentleman to my earlier post --> http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post1621784

HTH
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by lbolla View Post
            Make sure it's reassuringly expensive. Then get some Indians to do it with much cheapness and plenty quickness and pocket the profits.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              Make sure it's reassuringly expensive. Then get some Indians to do it with much cheapness and plenty quickness and pocket the profits.
              And make sure you have heavy PI cover for when your Bob code is discovered to be a pile of dog-toss
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
                How long will it take you and how much is the average daily rate for this skillset? That's what you need to be asking yourself.
                Not quite. The above is Question 1. Question 2 is "How is the client going to benefit from this and how much is it worth to them?".

Your price offer is whichever is the higher of the two figures above.

Comment

Originally posted by lbolla View Post
                  Hi,

I would like to have your opinions about how much I should charge for this kind of job:
                  0. Create a web-based CMS system to be used to managed songs/albums and usage (in the sense of when and how frequently songs are published to the public, broadcasted on radios, tvs, etc.)
                  1. It requires a fairly simple (~10 tables) database
                  2. It requires a fancy UI to manage the database
                  3. It requires processing of input feeds with usage of songs information
                  4. It produces reports like: "top 10 most popular song", "top 10 most valuable songs", etc.

Thanks in advance,
                  L.
                  1st contract? Agree a daily rate on a time and materials basis.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    £100 which should just about cover someone to re-write your CV so you can get a permie job again.
                    PMSL

More seriously, it dependson what exactly your role is and if there are signed off requirements.

Are you just writing code or are you supplying a completed package? What about handover and support? And do you need to provide the underlying software the product will run on?

As for requirements, without them being signed off how will you know when your job is done?

If its fixed price then my starting point would be number of forecast days effort x desired daily rate x 2 (as you will under estimate). If necessary then include effort for bottoming the requirements.

Comment

Working...
                    X