• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QDOS IR35 insurance any good ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butcheroo View Post
    I just bought £75k protection from qdos @ £480 per year
    Hmmm...

Presumably QDOS are happy you are not caught so you only need the insurance
    in case they are shown to be wrong. But if they are shown to be wrong you can then sue them for the cost of the insurance since clearly their original review was wrong and they subjected you to a cost that you didn't need to incur, because had they said you were caught you would have paid your taxes as per the IR35 rules. So basically you are then paying for the insurance only if you don't actually need it.

Deep, isn't it...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Hmmm...

in case they are shown to be wrong. But if they are shown to be wrong you can then sue them for the cost of the insurance since clearly their original review was wrong and they subjected you to a cost that you didn't need to incur, because had they said you were caught you would have paid your taxes as per the IR35 rules. So basically you are then paying for the insurance only if you don't actually need it.

Deep, isn't it...
      We've dealt with numerous cases where, on the face of it, the contractor is outside IR35. His contract is good and, as far as he knows, his working practices are compliant. But then HMRC start probing at his end client, asking leading questions, getting hold of the upper level contract - that's where things get difficult, especially when it's stuff the contractor has no control or knowledge of.

Of course we aren't 'happy' the contractor isn't caught - we only ask a few questions that are designed to filter out cases where there is absolutely no hope of success (employee Friday, contractor Monday etc.).

There are so many grey areas in IR35 and that's the risk we're trying to cover.
      Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

I just bought £75k protection from qdos @ £480 per year
        It appears QDOS don't trawl peoples posting history before deciding to accept or not.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It appears QDOS don't trawl peoples posting history before deciding to accept or not.
          Ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I have managed to get a signed confirmation of arrangements for all of my previous 5 contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Hmmm...

Deep, isn't it...
              That's an unexpected post from someone like you Malvolio...you appear to be claiming that IR35 couldn't be any more black and white in it's interpretation and application and hence you only need a contract review that clears the contract from an IR33 perspective, when in fact we all know it's at least 50 shades of grey (the humdrum, potentially painful and costly shades, not the saucy and erotic shades).

Or have I missed the gag somewhere...

Comment

I have managed to get a signed confirmation of arrangements for all of my previous 5 contracts.
                Bearing in mind the post below you had to ask who to sign the CoA and the post below that where you said you might give it a go you are plainly lying. Very poor.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ments-doc.html

Do these docs need to be signed by HR or other official channels like legal at a client?

Reason I ask is my old contract project owners would be happy to sign these forms for me but is a "friendly" in your old client space enough?
                http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post1629745

Has anyone managed to get a client to agree to sign up to a confirmation of arrangements doc

Going to try that
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
                  That's an unexpected post from someone like you Malvolio...you appear to be claiming that IR35 couldn't be any more black and white in it's interpretation and application and hence you only need a contract review that clears the contract from an IR33 perspective, when in fact we all know it's at least 50 shades of grey (the humdrum, potentially painful and costly shades, not the saucy and erotic shades).

Or have I missed the gag somewhere...
                  It's Friday. Consider yourself whooshed...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                  X