• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enforced Xmas not working - penny pinching clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    It is for me but I have worked with some contractors who are MGB's (Money Grabbing B*****ds) and will work constantly without any holiday and if a client offers overtime will be in there like a rat up a drainpipe
    For me too. But what I wont do is let client take the piss and expect me to work extra for free after the event when I've offered to help out.

If its not busy then COMPLETELY DIFFERENT of course. But if its busy then client cant moan when stuff is behind in january IMHO.

After all, get a plumber in to fit a new shower. Tell him he can work 1 day before xmas, and 1 day after xmas and thats all you're paying. Whats he going to say when you moan at him that its not done when you want it done?
    Last edited by psychocandy; 7 December 2012, 10:46.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Never understood this. If the whole building is closed and/or there is really no work on then fair enough. We all sign up to this - no work, no pay etc.

But never understood why some clients like to penny pinch at this time of year and try to shave a few days off for their contractors? In the scheme of things, 3 billable days between xmas and new year surely aint going to break the budget.

Place I worked at as a permie was even worse. All contractors had to take 3 weeks off over xmas because the company didn't think much work got done at this time of year (which is what they actually said to them!). 3 weeks is a big chunk of income so obviously contractors were well pissed off with this and a bit put out with the suggestion that they weren't worth their rate at this time of year. Didnt see how this was going to be effective with the bad feeling it caused.

Yes, I know this is the deal, client can do what they want. But imagine if it was the other way around and client wanted something important on 30th dec and contractor said not coming in. Quite within their rights to do but it wouldn't go down well.

Certain clients seem to want it all ways. Work done on time but saving a few quid.
      Organ Grinder ---> Monkey
      Punter ---> P******e
      Client ---> Contractor

In all cases He/she who pays, gets their way.

I would be surprised if the client didn't want it all their own way. After all they are paying for your expert services, so they get the privilege of where and when.
      If It irks you so much, then perhaps the contractor lifestyle is not for you?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        For me too. But what I wont do is let client take the piss and expect me to work extra for free after the event when I've offered to help out.
        I totally agree, I told the company I'm working for I'll be off for two weeks well in advance as I'm back in the UK. Giving them sufficient time to arrange cover with one of the teams in the US or India, if I come back and they insist on doing extra to get things back on track I'll say fine as long as you have the budget for it
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by ambient View Post
          On the other hand, it's a great pointer to being outside IR35, particularly if the place doesn't close down completely over Christmas (as an employer couldn't force an employee to take holiday in those circumstances).
          Employers can tell permies when to take the holiday. They have to give you holiday, not let you take it when you want.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            I think if contractors miss 3 weeks of money they need to look at their overall finances.

Isnt part of the idea of being a contractor to earn more money and therefore achieve a better work / life balance?
            +1

My contractor breaks starts next Friday for 3 weeks. That's what I definitely call a work/life balance. S*d the finances

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              +1

My contractor breaks starts next Friday for 3 weeks. That's what I definitely call a work/life balance. S*d the finances
              Im aiming for about 5 weeks off to recharge

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                I think if contractors miss 3 weeks of money they need to look at their overall finances.

Isnt part of the idea of being a contractor to earn more money and therefore achieve a better work / life balance?
                Yes but on your terms between contracts.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
                  Organ Grinder ---> Monkey
                  Punter ---> P******e
                  Client ---> Contractor

In all cases He/she who pays, gets their way.

I would be surprised if the client didn't want it all their own way. After all they are paying for your expert services, so they get the privilege of where and when.
                  If It irks you so much, then perhaps the contractor lifestyle is not for you?
                  Are you NLUKs sockie?

Never once said that the client isnt paying for my services they are. But theres give and take even in business relationships...

If they want it ALL they're own way then dont expect favours and the odd extra hours here and there to help them out.
                  Last edited by psychocandy; 21 December 2012, 14:36.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Employers can tell permies when to take the holiday. They have to give you holiday, not let you take it when you want.
                    You are of course correct in the broad sense. Sometimes it doesn't lead to a great employee/employer relationship though.

My point really was the MoO clause in a good contract and IR35. Usually says "the client isn't obliged to offer and the supplier isn't obliged to accept work" or some such. So, the client withdraws your opportunity to work over Christmas, therefore there is no MoO on the whole contract, which is a 1-0 up on your IR35 status for that contract. Keep the email from ClientCo telling you can't work in your records in case you need the evidence in the future.

On top of that, it's Christmas, and you were probably wanting to not work or at least slow down for a bit anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      +1

I took over 2 and a half months off to enjoy the summer and travel, this wasn't because I was betwenn contracts, I actually ended the contract to do it. No point making loadsa money if you cant enjoy it

Comment

Working...
                      X