• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When To Negotiate Holiday/Training/Conference Time in a Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    Hello

A contractor has a 6 month contract, say January to June.

Spouse says he/she needs to show the client ulitmate commitment. "Taking a one week break is not a good, shows lack of commitment. Especially since the contractor just started new contract in January."

Disagreement ensues.

In the past, the contractor has asked the other clients if the date/time away affect project plans well in advanced; and this has worked previously well for different employers, clients and managers.

The time the contractor wants away is one week at the beginning of March, or possibly the end of February and then nothing more would be taken or requested. Essentially 1 week in a whole 6 month contract.

The spouse disagrees as the contractor should be thinking about the under-pressure manager. Spouse says the contractor is being very well paid to ultimately "fix the client's pain", what the contractor is doing is showing lack of respect of their circumstance and plus it does not look good, especially in a newly won contract, where the contractor has not quite got his or her feet on the ground yet and is running with the ball.

The experienced Contractor thinks this way out of order. A 3 month contract [Jan - Mar] understandable, but 6 months [Jan - June] is long time. One week away is not going to hurt [ in the contractor's experience]. The project true deadline is in June/July. Contractor does not understand the spouse's point of view.

I am wondering about other contractor's experiences in holiday/conference/training time in a 6-12 month contracts. I know contractors who have never taken time off during a contract and some contractors who say yada. It depends I think. What's your thoughts?
    Contractor to tell spouse to **** off and mind her own business. Other contractors will wonder what experience spouse has of contracting or how it all works?

If this fails, assuming spouse also works but as permie, tell her she is expected to fill in any holidays she may have with a temp job.

On a serious note, here's what I'd do:-

1. If holiday is already booked or you've got commitments that exact week, then advise client of this. Tough titty if they don't like it. (Although I would mention this pre-contract signing maybe)

2. If you just fancy a week off any time, speak to client nicely. Try and fit in when it causes them least hassle. Better this way - chances are they will have no problem.

3. If client really has a problem with you taking just one week, unless there is a really good reason and/or this was mentioned during interview, then find another contract.

4. Finally, you know the client and the work. Your spouse does not. You decide how to play things. Can't ever see any decent client EVER EVER getting shot of you because you take a few days off. They might make this excuse but this won't be the real reason. Bottom line - if they can afford you and you're providing value they'll put up with slight inconveniences.

In my experience, some clients get a bit pissy if you don't take any holidays. Some seem to have a few weeks per year assumed in their contractor budget so if you're a tight arse who works every day except bank holidays it can put them over. I've had this a few times where I got told that they assumed I'd have about 2-3 weeks per year.

Bit permie-like, IR35-scary, admitedly but I guess they've got to budget.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Contractor to tell spouse to **** off and mind her own business.
      I think that is about all the feedback the OP needed in one sentence lol..
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Check your contract with spouse. Does it have a termination clause?

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
          Check your contract with spouse. Does it have a termination clause?
          I checked my contract, it was a verbal one something about "till death do us part" which doesn't leave too many options open to be honest.

Best thing is to try and manage the expectations correctly and stay out from under the thumb. Alternatively, spouses can sometimes be placated by offering an above inflation pay rise.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            I checked my contract, it was a verbal one something about "till death do us part" which doesn't leave too many options open to be honest.
            Ah, but that contract should also say something about "to love, cherish, and to obey" (you did agree to the correct version of the contract, didn't you?)

Tell spouse she needs to obey your command that she shut her cake hole and stop being so insolent.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Best thing is to try and manage the expectations correctly and stay out from under the thumb. Alternatively, spouses can sometimes be placated by offering an above inflation pay rise.
              Tell that to John Wayne Bobbitt.. He parted with something alright!
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                Ah, but that contract should also say something about "to love, cherish, and to obey" (you did agree to the correct version of the contract, didn't you?)

Tell spouse she needs to obey your command that she shut her cake hole and stop being so insolent.
                Wrong deffinition of obey in this context.... some say.

Comment

Working...
                X