• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts Being Cut Short By The Client :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had 1 contract cut short by a few months, it was a bit of a shock when I actually got told even though I knew there was a chance it was coming and for the half hour after when I got back to my desk I was like 'Sh1t!' but then just got my CV up on my system fired it back out and got on with it and that was that.

I must be one of a minority that actually likes clients to take it to the last minute to decide to renew. This is because I get bored very quickly in jobs and like the chance to try and find something else before I have to make a decision on the extension if it gets offered.
    Last edited by curtis; 8 April 2013, 10:50. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
      I have had 1 contract cut short by a few months, it was a bit of a shock when I actually got told even though I knew there was a chance it was coming and for the half hour after when I got back to my desk I was like 'Sh1t!' but then just got my CV up on my system fired it back out and got on with it and that was that.

I must be one of a minority that actually likes clients to take it to the last minute to decide to renew. This is because I get bored very quickly in jobs and like the chance to try and find something else before I have to make a decision on the extension if it gets offered.
      But its annoying to have to go through the rigmarole of looking on jobserve etc applying for stuff just in case you dont get extended. Of course, if you dont mind going somewhere else not an issue....

I'd rather have a longer contract that gets canned with two weeks notice than the odd one month or three months where they take it to the wire every time. This way potentially you get an hours notice!
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Indeed if you want the extension then it must be frustrating. Given the choice though for me unless a holiday is looming very close I would pretty much always like to move on if I get the chance.

So I like to look so I don't have to take the extension if offered if ideally I don't want too. I know I don't have to anyhow but if there is nothing really bad about the job then feel to keep myself working should take it.

Comment

It has happened a couple of times. I tend to try and get through my work at lightening speed which of course then changes project deadlines which inadvertently for me reduces their spend.

However i just dont want to be in the slow lane! I much prefer to try and get out of each contract the desirables and then move on to try and find more interesting and challenging work.

Comment

Originally posted by SajStars View Post
            It has happened a couple of times. I tend to try and get through my work at lightening speed which of course then changes project deadlines which inadvertently for me reduces their spend.
            You sound like a project managers nightmare.... unless you are talking rubbish of course.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Which bit of "Temporary expert resource" haven't you quite worked out yet? Or "Recession"...?

Times are tight, companies are being very careful with expenditure and still cling to the fond belief that a permie is cheaper than a contractor. One day they'll work it out. until they do, early finishes and non-renwewals will become more commonplace.
              permies ARE cheaper. except when a genuine skilled contractor is used for a fixed term to provide fixed deliverables. But such contractors are a minority. Many contractors do tedious repetitive jobs which a monkey could do, let alone a permie.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
                permies ARE cheaper. except when a genuine skilled contractor is used for a fixed term to provide fixed deliverables. But such contractors are a minority. Many contractors do tedious repetitive jobs which a monkey could do, let alone a permie.
                I am not sure that is true. The actual cost of a permie to a company is not his wage/benefits alone. Many years ago when budgeting for projects we had to use a figure that was roughly twice their pay-scale. This made them comparable to contractors. The pay per hour figure does indeed make a permie look cheaper but that isn't the whole picture.

Comment

WNLS

The cost of contract staff to a company is the same as permie staff (Tax, nat ins, holidays, insurance, sick pay, pension, health plan which contractors pay themselves) except that you don't have the future costs of their employment to take into account.

Companies aren't paying a premium for contract staff, you pay for a plumber to fix a leak, because he can do it quickly and you don't need him after that, you don't take on an apprentice for a couple of years unless you are expecting lots of leaks in the future.

Candidate for the crappest metaphor 2013.

Comment

Waiting for AQ to ask me if I am an HR expert or an IT contractor now.....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I am not sure that is true. The actual cost of a permie to a company is not his wage/benefits alone. Many years ago when budgeting for projects we had to use a figure that was roughly twice their pay-scale. This made them comparable to contractors. The pay per hour figure does indeed make a permie look cheaper but that isn't the whole picture.
                      And of course, a lot of companies like to keep budgets separately. If they can say they're only paying for 1000 permies then it keeps them happy sometimes even if they've got 500 contractors on top.

And, of course, if you're in contract for a while it gets to the point where possibly client can't replace you with a permie even if they want to because the skills are not there. So they have little choice but to keep the contractor going.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X