• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

9 hour day ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 hour day ?

Hi,

Just reviewing a new contract - all looks good except for this little sting in the tail:

Professional day: 9 hours.

I've queried it, but in the meantime wondered if you have experience of similar ? A while ago I had a contract where an 8 hour day was specified, and they were super-fussy about checking the time clock, with all kinds of rules about taking an extra hour for lunch. That was maybe an extreme example.

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Hi,

Just reviewing a new contract - all looks good except for this little sting in the tail:

I've queried it, but in the meantime wondered if you have experience of similar ? A while ago I had a contract where an 8 hour day was specified, and they were super-fussy about checking the time clock, with all kinds of rules about taking an extra hour for lunch. That was maybe an extreme example.
    I had a contract which specific 40 hours a week and at least half an hour break a day. This was monitored by the swipe card readers on the doors.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I will optimistically assume that your negotiated day/hourly rate is suitably scaled to the requirement, in which case accept it and enjoy the additional revenue.

I would also of course assume (and expect) there is some flex/latitude in other aspects of the engagement. You did agree some WFH didn't you?

If it's a short engagement (3- 6 months), I'd just get on with it.
      "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
        Hi,

All my previous contracts have had either 7.5 hours/day specified or a PWD (with no hours specified).

Current contract states PWD which is assumed to be 8 hrs/day (or words to that effect). I was a bit un-prepared for it, but it was only 30 mins/day more than what I'd done in the past.

In the future when asked what I charge per day, I shall say "£xxx per PWD, upto 8 hours". If the contract appears showing more than 8 hours, increase the daily rate.

I personally would not do 9 hours per day. How desperate are you? Or how willing are you to negotiate less hours/more £?
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I wouldn't sign for 9 hours, although I frequently do 9 and above for a professional working day. Start from a low base and deliver higher.

Comment

Permie-dom was 7hr days for me.....35hr week....and my current gig is 7.5hrs PWD.
            I would probably baulk at 9hr day, based on only having decided on a day rate (goes off to calculate hour rate)...that said, I usually work 8+hrs a day in this gig, averaged over a week, and have no issue with this.
            Still, I like what kingcook said about having a day rate based on PWD up to 8hrs - will snaffle for future reference
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

One permie job required 44 hours per week. Most seem to be 37.5 hours in my experience.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                One permie job required 44 hours per week. Most seem to be 37.5 hours in my experience.
                Yup, most I had were 35hrs and I am pretty sure that was not all that common - actually, last permie job I had had started taking all new bods in on 37.5hr basis, which was kinda complicated!
                I guess you have to weigh up each gig for what it is - rate against term against expected hrs in PWD against need against....rinse and repeat
                latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Well unless its a paid hour's lunch (which I doubt!), they're taking the piss with a stated 9 hour day.

But in the current market your choices are;

refuse the role
                  try and negotiate an agreeable flexible attendance regime
                  just accept it

I think the client will play hardball in this market though.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Whoops, just necro-posting to solve my own thread. I got the agent to change 9 hours to 8 hours in the contract and signed on for that. Still there after 17 months. The client is laid back and easy going with regard to contractors, of which they emply a great many. This is *SO* much nicer than my old place, where they were luducrously strict about everything, and I was the only contractor on site.

Comment

Working...
                    X