• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit the bullet, applied for a nearby permie role.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    What multiplier of typical daily rate are you looking for for annual salary / 'package'?

Not sure how you work that figure out.

As I live in the north west, its not a high wage area so, 50k is the top end. Yes, you could probably earn another 10 - 15k if you travelled to Manchester or Leeds but that negates the option to consider permie because I'd have to travel to these places for contract and means a longer commute.

If the final package comes in around 45k, I think with my warchest and public service pension kicking in in 4 years, I could live with that.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Sounds gr8, I´m close behind, also a "permie round the corner role". In the end travelling costs really kills the financial advantage of contracting, and usuallly in that 45 K are "pension benefits". Also gives you a chance, because you have spare time to build up a plan B, to earn a bit of cash on the side from time to time, doing bits and bobs.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        I've looked at a plan b and c which I'd really like to do but, there's just no money in them never mind enough to make them worthwhile. OK, that may mean they are the wrong plan b and c but finding something that works and would bring in a couple of grand a month is a real challenge.
        I think it's supposed to be challenging. This whole "every contractor should be planning a plan B" mentality is silly to me, it's another step but just as most people don't want to go contracting, most contractors don't want to run a whole business.

As I said, Im looking to stop working in 4 to 5 years max so, a decent paying permie role would do that.
        Sounds reasonable and not a bad way to round off a career if you can get it. You can of course always keep an eye out for juicy contracts...

What is your specialty BB?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The world is definitely changing partly I think because IT is maturing.
          Funny you say that, I think the IT world is changing for the opposite reason.

High performance machines have encouraged very lazy coding and a lack of quality documentation or pride tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I think it's supposed to be challenging. This whole "every contractor should be planning a plan B" mentality is silly to me, it's another step but just as most people don't want to go contracting, most contractors don't want to run a whole business.

Sounds reasonable and not a bad way to round off a career if you can get it. You can of course always keep an eye out for juicy contracts...

What is your specialty BB?
            I dont mind a challenge, I lost 70+k on one plan a which quickly turned to plan z so I know all about challenges.

But there's got to be a prospect of generating a living wage. It doesnt have to be the equivalent of a contractor income because I wouldnt be travelling 100+miles a day to \ from work as I do now. Im also the only income generator as the missus doesnt work now (through agreed choice).

Im in testing but the north west \ north is dead on its feet right now. There are roles in London but I'd end up having a 1 day weekend if I went down there so, prefer not to.

I can live quite comfortably on 26 week contracting out of 52 but as I said, agents especially think you have a bad reputation rather than take account of work \ life balance.

Comment

Maybe you can find another contractor Ltd to hire you the other 26 weeks on a support contract which happens to involve no work.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Maybe you can find another contractor Ltd to hire you the other 26 weeks on a support contract which happens to involve no work.
                You offering?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  You offering?
                  I'll do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X