• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you take days off when contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me one of the main reasons I got into contracting was to be able to take more time off, the money is great but there is a lot more to life.

I need to work but I just value 'my' time a lot more.

I would think twice about taking a day off to just do nothing but if I had something planned then not an issue, also I tend to book holidays well in advance sometimes they will fall in a contract sometimes they won't but I will always put my holiday above a job.

Some time ago I turned a role down as they had a issue with the 2 weeks I wanted off as it was in their busy month, I was going away abroad to visit family and I could have not gone and just thought of the money/contract but decided that was what I wanted more so went away. I looked at it as, another contract will come whenever that might be, I have a war chest to cover, lifes too short to be stuck in an office even longer and I'm not getting any younger!

Comment

Interesting comments from all, But it seems taking days off is entirely up to the individual.

When i take days off i just feel in some ways that i am been robbed . kind of calculating the Day rates im losing intentionally . ha!

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
        Have you ever taken a break during a contract? like days off to relax - I think i am going crazy with the much love for money and
        i have never been off since i have been contracting.
        except i am very sick... i mean VERY(That's can not walk out bed).

Is this just me? or is this normal with contractors?
        Never take breaks off during a contract.

Always a take 3-6 month break between contracts.

Works for me.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

I only take days off because my wife wants it - She would prefer i accompany her on a holiday i am paying for

Comment

I used to work every day possible but soon realised that it wasn't a good balance for me.

I take the odd day off here and there, have some time to myself as well as the usual holiday time. I feel better and perform better as a result. But thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              Never take breaks off during a contract.

Always a take 3-6 month break between contracts.

Works for me.
              For me it depends on the contract.

If contract is steady and I am working 6 days a week for 2 weeks per month then, a choice day once a quarter is not going to do any harm.

If contract is manic and with un-stable client then i tend to invoice now and take holidays later.

I have to say that working straight through from January to November is not for me, whats the point in working hard if you cannot enjoy it at your own leisure.

People talk up having breaks after contracts, in this market the chances of me being able relax between contracts is nil.

Comment

Contrary for most people I think you need the self discipline to make holidays MANDATORY.

If you go for years without a day off you will burn out.

I've been through that, after landing a contract with , in my view the best IT company in the world.

I rue the fact I didn't take time off before landing in that one.

Agree with bluenose completely, although I did take a whole year out on purpose back in 2011 as my family needed me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                  People talk up having breaks after contracts, in this market the chances of me being able relax between contracts is nil.
                  Then you should stop contracting.

All you are doing is working and wishing your life away. A sad state of affairs when only get one of them.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

I don't take many days and don't take days off and waste them. But I do take days off for holidays and when I want to do something. But I do try to minimise days off - gone are the days when I take a day off before to pack, day off after to recover.

Otherwise, eventually you're head is going to explode. Of course, it all depends on your warchest a lot.

I'm actually off for a day tomorrow. Taking the old man (whos 78) away for the weekend to watch cricket. He aint going to be around for ever so I'd regret not doing this.

And, with baby due in a bit, I'll probably take a week off. You never get this time back after all.....

But I try not to think of how much its costing me.... (it makes me feel ill!) Two week holidays in Florida gets a bit expensive when you add in lost billing time!

I used to get wassed off when bank holidays came around and think of them as lost days. I'd offer to work etc but now I realise it aint worth the hassle.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

take 6 weeks minimum holiday per year. I also try to work 2 to 4 day per week for 10 to 20 weeks per year.

Comment

Working...
                      X