• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

8 hour working day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Haven't worked an 8 hour day in years; it's a 7.5 hour day everywhere I've been this century, except for the place where the permies had a 7 hour day - my contract still stipulated 7.5 hours, so that's what I did. If I did come across somewhere trying to impose an 8 hour day, I might well refuse the gig on principle.
    8 hour days over here in Manchester.

Can live with it though, it's local and they don't moan at me for starting/leaving early (7:15 - 15:45)
    Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
      8 hour days over here in Manchester.

Can live with it though, it's local and they don't moan at me for starting/leaving early (7:15 - 15:45)
      I did 4:00am till 10:30am last friday, well over 40 hrs in the week, but I was on-call and called out every 90 mins every night all week, needed to drive home in daylight or fall asleep at the wheel if in darkness.

Still knackered, this is one the few places I've worked on call and you do get called like every hour or two, too frikking old for this ah tell thi'....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        You mean a plumber who charges by the hour or one who quotes a fixed fee for the job... neither of which is charging by the professional day?
        There are workmen who try the day trick.

However all the ones I've used charge by the job.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've had my manager stand over me and demand that I stay until I had finished a particular project plan. No real reason for this except that she had promised her manager that it would be done that day. At 6pm I got up and left (plan not complete but complete enough). I had been in since 8am. The long and the short of it is that some people are definitely unreasonable. Contracts don't help. My contract clearly stated a 7.5 hour day. The manager said that her wishes supercede the contract. I didn't last there very long and I don't seem to be able to get back in at that client. I guess that I shouldn't hint at black-lists.

Comment

Originally posted by TransitTrucker View Post
            I've had my manager stand over me and demand that I stay until I had finished a particular project plan. No real reason for this except that she had promised her manager that it would be done that day. At 6pm I got up and left (plan not complete but complete enough). I had been in since 8am. The long and the short of it is that some people are definitely unreasonable. Contracts don't help. My contract clearly stated a 7.5 hour day. The manager said that her wishes supercede the contract. I didn't last there very long and I don't seem to be able to get back in at that client. I guess that I shouldn't hint at black-lists.
            If the client management are tulip why do you want to go back there?

They have done you a favour.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You mean a plumber who charges by the hour or one who quotes a fixed fee for the job... neither of which is charging by the professional day?
              My plumber charges per day.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                My plumber charges per day.
                They saw you coming then

Also, you only equate yourself with a plumber?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

They saw you coming then

Also, you only equate yourself with a plumber?
                  Got a prob with my drain outside, just quoted £70/hr to fix with no guarantee of fix.

The Contractor in me says:

1. Price up drain tools

2. Take a look at the sich.

3. Take view.

Not paying that much without a bit of research...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Then it's not a PWD then. If you do any chargeable work in a 24 hour period for your client, they get charged a set fee for your services for that 24 hours. Since you don't get overtime and they don't get relief for short days, why worry about how many hours you work in any one day?

OK, it means that clients can get charged a lot of money for a 30 minute phone call when I've said I'm not working that day, but equally they don't get charged extra when I spend 7 hours in a car to and from their client's site for 8 hours of meetings. We're there to deliver stuff, not time.
                    PWD is open to interpretation, IMO. My interpretation means 7.5 hours per day on average (unless explicitly defined in the contract).

If being paid for a day, I have to at least make it look like a day! If I need to get something complete on any particular day and it took me 9.5 hours in a day, i'd do 5.5 hours the next day (or claw the other 2 hours back some other time). I don't time myself to the minute while working for a client who's paying PWD - but I have a rough idea of the number of hours i've worked in any given week or maybe a bit more.

I'm there to deliver stuff over a period of time. If it gets completed early then my contract gets cut short. If it doesn't, I can either pass it on to the permies or the contract gets extended.
                    Last edited by kingcook; 2 December 2013, 18:16. Reason: Clarify
                    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Got a prob with my drain outside, just quoted £70/hr to fix with no guarantee of fix.
                      Don't you quote £600/day when asked what rate you want, only to negotiate down to £400 if you have to?

Try not to sound so sophisticated and well-off when you phone the guy up
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X