• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to respond to breach of contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to respond to breach of contract?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and in need of some advice! It is a long winded story so do bear with me...

A client has paid late at every stage of a verbal/email contract (no written contract I am afraid as it was a job I took on quite some time back and I did not have the experience I do now...)

The latest and final straw for me has been her paying a reduced amount on an agreed date for a final payment. I have therefore terminated the contract and told her I will not complete the full amount of work.

My question is this: due to the ongoing problems and multiple times she has messed me around, do I have to still send her work to the value that she has paid for? I am inclined to simply send what has been completed (a lesser amount) and no more, and view any extra money as payment for damages, loss of earnings elsewhere (I have turned down other work to do hers).

Am I in the right here?

Thanks

Eleanor

What evidence do you have to back up your position? Emails?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Eleanorbland View Post
      A client has paid late at every stage of a verbal/email contract (no written contract I am afraid as it was a job I took on quite some time back and I did not have the experience I do now...)
      Email is a written contract.

What were the payment terms? If they paid > 30 days with no formally agreed terms then you have a case for late payment which defaults to 30 days, google "Pay in time" for more info. A verbal contract is also binding but difficult to prove/enforce.

If you have written terms then it's even better but you will need proper advice, not general speculation like you will get in response to your vague description of the dispute you have posted her....
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

How detailed was this verbal/email contract? Are these problems covered by it i.e. detailed payment terms and for what etc or is that completely missing?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Think about what has been delivered to date vs how much has been paid. Any court would expect delivery of something similar for the last payment.

You are not legally entitled to offset one perceived debt against another, so you holding something back as compensation for their misdemeanors won't put you in a favourable position should you end up in court.

I would finish what you have been paid for and not work for them again. This is a downside to being self-employed.

Comment

Agree with the above complete deliver and demand payment. By not delivering you can't demand anything.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
            X