• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DialaBrain - another fad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just come across w ww.dialabrain.com having seen a recommendation for it from the Institute of Interim Managers. It seems targeted at the very short term / part-time "by the hour" assignments.

Have any other PM types on this board come across it? Had any clients through it?

It must be quite new, I already found a bug on it whilst creating a profile.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Is it any different from people per hour?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

They're only useful if there's a minimum commitment or a retainer along with guaranteed rates. If they won't give you a retainer or commitment on rates then it's very highly likely to be, as mentioned above, bargain basement work.

Comment

DIALaBRAIN is not fully launched yet.

In the interest of clarity, I work for DIALaBRAIN.

No one has found work on the site yet as the site is not yet open for business. That is about two weeks away. The site is in the process of loading consultants.

As to the remark that site's like ours are often a "race to the bottom". On DIALaBRAIN there is no such auction process, it is not a case of the lowest bid wins - there is no bidding. The clients select based on price and are then set up with a web conference between themselves and their service provider. The site is designed for repeat business, so that professionals can have meetings with existing and new clients without the need to travel.

Steve and Craig, the current average fee is £103 per hour. There are minimum and maximum fee rates depending on discipline.

The site is quite different to PPH. Our site is aimed at individual professionals and companies, serving existing and new clients with live interactive consultancy. We are not stopping part time consultants joining, but our main focus will be on companies as both the clients and service providers.

Sorry about the Bug, there are always teething problems. Please let us know what the issue was. It may already have been resolved.

Comment

Feature Request?

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          minimum commitment or a retainer along with guaranteed rates.
          Craig, I forgot to say that fees are guaranteed. As for the rest, we will treat it as a feature request and add it to our pipeline.

Comment

I have allowed Rupe's posts through as the right to reply.

I will also ask him to read the T&Cs of this forum regarding blatant advertising.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I haven't looked at DaB to see exactly how it works (I'd like Rupe to reply if the mods will allow it) but I often thought that something a bit like StackOverflow but paid would be useful. Not exactly like SO, but often you want a sample "how do I use this API" or "what is a formula to do X" or "I don't really understand this concept, one hour to speak/IM someone to explain it in a tutoring setup would be nice"

£50 for an hour of someone's time to walk me through something could be well worth it rather than trawling tutorials or trying to piece together different bits of the puzzle from the official docs.
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If anyone wants advice on contracting, then send me a message. (£100 an hour or part thereof)
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

£50 for an hour of someone's time to walk me through something could be well worth it rather than trawling tutorials or trying to piece together different bits of the puzzle from the official docs.
                  I would like to see the look on my missus face when I tell her I am now also being paid £50 an hour to help people out!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is that what ExpertSexChange.com was all about?

Sites like StackOverflow killed that off but sadly I also see them killing off topic-specific forums and discussion boards. Which is a shame because while SO is genuinely brilliant, any question that can't be given a definite answer is deleted. There is no place for discussion or "what ways could I do X?" only "how should I do X?"
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X