• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how to drop contract "nicely" few days before start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nicofars View Post
    Joke is : pimp#2for gig that I wanted still cannot get CIO to sign on decision to hire me before next week (they are a very procedural company and therefore think hiring contractors has to go through the hierarchy ladder too..)
    So we decided that it's too bad for them, I will take pimp#1 gig and in a few weeks -may be- gig#2 will close the deal and I go there .... But will I ? Not sure because of contract now.

Pimp #1 write a contract saying that I could not give notice for the duration of the contract (3 months) which I asked him to mirror their notice which is 4 weeks.
    So I can't really start the gig and give notice to be free in 4 weeks ..!

Am screwed with this lower paid gig for 3 months the. :-(
    Always happens like this. Not sure if it'd be cool to start contract and then leave straight away. But gotta look after yourself.

As for contract #1 just tell them no way 4 weeks - end of.

Saying that though - are you sure gig #2 will wait 4 weeks if they offer and you tell them yes but in 4 weeks?

How desperate is gig #1 to have you? I'd be tempted to say 2 weeks notice or nothing. Might raise a few eyebrows as to why you want this though!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I already told them that "cannot give notice" was rubbish so they added 4 weeks.
      But just saying "we hope it won't happen which why we put cannot give notice",
      Yes we all hope we are going to keep happy ever after but reality is that if one is not happy they will 1/ not pay me to stay here moaning for 4 weeks 2/ not pay for me to be home if they are the one to give me notice.
      So that's all non sense anyhow.

Isn't etre common sense at some point between me and client manager to decide that we split up our couple and give notice quasi-immediately. And we just tell pimp to do as we say (?)

Comment

Originally posted by nicofars View Post
        this client is a joke since I know him from previous life
        Who were you?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Who were you?
          Alexander the Great's chief eunuch.

Comment

It's not the agency that is important. It's the client. If you don't give a monkey about the client then you can bugger off.

As a contractor you need to hop around different clients every few months, so when your CV gets resubmitted to client whose project you endangered because they had to go through two recruitment cycles, they might sling it out the next time.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
            X