• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The "Conduct Reg's" are virtually unenforceable against your intermediary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    Is there a link to the Clearwater judgement? I can only find the CUK article easily.
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    This judgement may or may not be significant for future cases (I am thinking not from what has been posted here) but, without seeing a transcript of the case we are unable to make an informed decision - do you know whether or not this is available Rory?
    Even a court reference would be a start - R v Contractors Network Ltd? R v Jason Howlett?
    If this sets a precedent, as you keep saying, it would be useful to have a transcript or even a court reference so that we can read it ourselves.

It's been asked a number of times in the thread without any answer, so all anyone has to go on is the CUK article and the posts from a director of the company involved.
    What's the trial reference? Is there a transcript available?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Right. So I've been getting that wrong for the last 15 years as well then...

Yes he may, if he signs up to be in such a contract. I don't, I deliberately sign up for a contract for services and deliver those services in that context with the agreement of my clients. Unless that contract is a complete sham - which according to your logic it can never be since any clause or statement it contains can be set aside at the whim of an external judiciary so it doesn't really matter what is says - then I am outside IR35. QED.

Seriously it's not me that's getting it wrong. You're the one arguing that the verdict in a specific case judged on the basis of a previous superior ruling can then influence the outcome of a number of other dissimilar ones. It can't. The referenced superior ruling may not even be relevant to those other cases.

And I note you still haven't defended your assertion that stating something in a contract doesn't have an effect if it conflicts with a legal definition and so can be ignored. Maybe so, but it still renders the entire contract a sham.
      Dear Malvolio,

If what you are asserting is correct they would be no need for the Intermediaries legislation or business entity tests. Those cases are heard to determine just that, whether the contract was one of service or for service. If you write up a contract which states that that it is a contract for service and a judge rules it is a contract of service, does it negate to be a contract ? or does it negate the entire contract ? or does it amend the treatment of the contract and certain provisions and clauses within it ? Can it not be determined by the reality of a situation i.e. substitution over what is written into the contract.

I'll let you answer that one for yourself.

The truth of the matter is that it is never known until a judge judges what he believes it is and unless he has erred in law or has come to the wrong conclusion based on the facts before him at trial, and then subject to appeal, it is what it is.
      Last edited by Rory Dwyer; 11 March 2014, 13:42.

Comment

Even a court reference would be a start - R v Contractors Network Ltd? R v Jason Howlett?
        Indeed it would - doesn't look like we're going to get it though
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Indeed it would - doesn't look like we're going to get it though
          Dear Lisa,

You have got it already, Regina V's Contractors Network Limited, 17th & 18th 2013 December Guildford Magistrates Court, I thought you were trying to be funny, like the screwed/sued comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Rory Dwyer View Post
            Dear Lisa,

You have got it already, Regina V's Contractors Network Limited, 17th & 18th 2013 December Guildford Magistrates Court, I thought you were trying to be funny, like the screwed/sued comment.
            OK thanks - doesn't seem to be available on line from what I can see. I never try to be funny.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

OK thanks - doesn't seem to be available on line from what I can see. I never try to be funny.
              Oh which of the many responses that spring to mind should I use? Or maybe apply some self preservation and just
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Very interesting thread which I will flip to my legal guys for their view. I do however think the thread title is misleading, having been to court personally on these matters I know the Regulations to be very enforceable in many circumstances.
                https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Rory Dwyer View Post
                  Dear Malvolio,

I'll let you answer that one for yourself.

Dead easy. If you give me a contract that doesn't reflect the reality on the ground and/or align to the one you have signed with the end client and I wind up in court as a result, then I'll sue you for the consequent losses under boring old company law; contracts have to be reasonable and relevant with respect to the situation.

Getting bored now. You've had your fun, nobody's listening any more. And don't you have a real job to be getting on with? After all agencies are always telling us they're too busy to engage with us mere contractors.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Oh which of the many responses that spring to mind should I use? Or maybe apply some self preservation and just

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                      Very interesting thread which I will flip to my legal guys for their view. I do however think the thread title is misleading, having been to court personally on these matters I know the Regulations to be very enforceable in many circumstances.
                      S3 v CNL

I really don't know who I'd want to prevail in that one...
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                      X