• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anybody here furloughed themselves yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoooby View Post
    Can you still apply for CJRS AFTER a normal salary payment has been made for the period being applied for (assuming you still intend to pay 100% of your salary)?

What paperwork / letter templates are people using / would recommend to support the company decision to apply to the CJRS?

Thanks
    This help?
    . CJRS explainer: A contractor’s step-by-step guide to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not really and I already read this before posting - this is still ambiguous for my questions.

So if you are effectively furloughed from April (last contract ended 31st of March) and you've already paid April salary in full, can you still claim 80% of this April payment?

Or did you NEED to do it the other way round and only pay the salary after applying for (and potentially receiving) the 80% funds?

The link says "Once the funds are received into the PSC’s bank account, you should pay yourself the full salary that has been claimed."

Is this just guidance though and not a requirement for the order of how things NEED to be done?

Comment

While not specifically answering the thread's question, I have specifically not furloughed myself.

A £90k war chest and the fact that MyCo has two flats which are both earning rent, and (I think I have this right) since I am still 'looking' for work which in itself constitutes 'work' or at least MyCo promotion, I have figured to not grab a hand out.

Of course this self employed, independent and survivalist thinking will not carry any weight whatsoever come (maybe) next April when I am considered a lowly and incapable permie, and unceremoniously dumped Inside.

Comment

You still aren't getting the thing about inside doesn't mean permie thing are you.. Why not start another pointless thread on it?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
            While not specifically answering the thread's question, I have specifically not furloughed myself.

A £90k war chest and the fact that MyCo has two flats which are both earning rent, and (I think I have this right) since I am still 'looking' for work which in itself constitutes 'work' or at least MyCo promotion, I have figured to not grab a hand out.

Of course this self employed, independent and survivalist thinking will not carry any weight whatsoever come (maybe) next April when I am considered a lowly and incapable permie, and unceremoniously dumped Inside.
            You are eligible. Your reserves don't matter - this is to stop Corona causing you to eat into them as much as it is doing.

Looking for work doesn't generate any income, only doing work does - thus you are furloughed (or can be). "I'm looking" doesn't pay the mortgage.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Scoooby View Post
              Not really and I already read this before posting - this is still ambiguous for my questions.

So if you are effectively furloughed from April (last contract ended 31st of March) and you've already paid April salary in full, can you still claim 80% of this April payment?

Or did you NEED to do it the other way round and only pay the salary after applying for (and potentially receiving) the 80% funds?

The link says "Once the funds are received into the PSC’s bank account, you should pay yourself the full salary that has been claimed."

Is this just guidance though and not a requirement for the order of how things NEED to be done?
              You could argue that the payment has already been made to you and you're simply reclaiming the payment made. As the scheme is back dated to 1 March, it's entirely plausible that companies are reclaiming salaries already paid out to workers they had laid off / furloughed before the scheme was stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                You are eligible. Your reserves don't matter - this is to stop Corona causing you to eat into them as much as it is doing.

Looking for work doesn't generate any income, only doing work does - thus you are furloughed (or can be). "I'm looking" doesn't pay the mortgage.
                I agree with this. Looking is a business cost and not revenue earning. Doing the work you've won is revenue earning.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I agree with this. Looking is a business cost and not revenue earning. Doing the work you've won is revenue earning.
                  Wondering whether the costs associated with 'looking' (travel/hotel expenses) are still claimable while the 'looker' is furloughed? Can I still bang the train fare to London and hotel costs on the company credit card?

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                    Wondering whether the costs associated with 'looking' (travel/hotel expenses) are still claimable while the 'looker' is furloughed? Can I still bang the train fare to London and hotel costs on the company credit card?
                    Be sensible. What travelling are you expecting to do while on lockdown?

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post

When huge profitable companies which were/are making millions of profit and have millions in reserves are using the scheme to save costs and avoid drawing down on their reserves then you really need to think twice about ignoring the handout.

And I think the general consensus on here is that looking for work does not mean you cannot furlough yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X