Giant Umbrella furlough scheme for present Covid-19 situation Giant Umbrella furlough scheme for present Covid-19 situation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    10

    Lightbulb Giant Umbrella furlough scheme for present Covid-19 situation

    Giant group solutions limited has decided for now not to pay the 80% furlough for the second lockdown for contractors using the umbrella solution.

    They are presently expected if operating the scheme to fund employer’s National Insurance (13.8%), employer’s pension contributions (4% of basic pay) and the apprenticeship levy (0.5%) on any furlough payments made.

    Are other giant contractors interested in petitioning giant group limited in a professional manner over this decision?

    Please contact me ASAP if this is the case!

    C

  2. #2

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    27,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beiberbuffet View Post
    Giant group solutions limited has decided for now not to pay the 80% furlough for the second lockdown for contractors using the umbrella solution.

    They are presently expected if operating the scheme to fund employer’s National Insurance (13.8%), employer’s pension contributions (4% of basic pay) and the apprenticeship levy (0.5%) on any furlough payments made.

    Are other giant contractors interested in petitioning giant group limited in a professional manner over this decision?

    Please contact me ASAP if this is the case!

    C
    So how are Giant supposed to fund:

    employer’s National Insurance (13.8%),
    employer’s pension contributions (4% of basic pay)
    and the apprenticeship levy (0.5%)

    given the way their business model works.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  3. #3

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    290

    Default

    PayStream did the same thing, been out of work since July, the only money I am getting is £450 a month from my old LTD company.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,999

    Default

    I wonder what the might FCSA says about this and what their conduct rules say about it.

    EDIT : Oh hang on. Policy is created by the big umbrellas that run it so whatever FCSA decides it will only be selfserving for the brollys and won't give a crap about the contractor.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    So how are Giant supposed to fund:

    employer’s National Insurance (13.8%),
    employer’s pension contributions (4% of basic pay)
    and the apprenticeship levy (0.5%)

    given the way their business model works.

    More to the point why is Giant having to pay an apprenticeship levy of 0.5% for this furlough scheme I’m looking through HMRC’s guidance and it dosent seem to be mentioned that this is a must be done part of the furlough scheme.

    So there we go as usual can’t get something we are told we are entitled to as a contractor.

    The other question technically the umbrella arrangement classes you as an employee so dosent this mean that technically you could qualify for redundancy pay despite you having been furloughed or does furlough disqualify this? More to the point how can giant pay for that?
    Last edited by Beiberbuffet; 15th November 2020 at 12:22.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Long story short you are an employee when it suits the government and self employed when it doesn't.

  7. #7

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Long story short you are an employee when it suits the government and self employed when it doesn't.
    This must mean that the government dosent want anyone to be employed. Hmmn who will be left to pay all the taxes, the civil service staff?

  8. #8

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Long story short you are an employee when it suits the government and self employed when it doesn't.
    That's the situation many of us find ourselves in now though. We no longer get the benefits of being self-employed, nor those of being employed, so we're in a kind of limbo.

  9. #9

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    22,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beiberbuffet View Post
    This must mean that the government dosent want anyone to be employed. Hmmn who will be left to pay all the taxes, the civil service staff?
    Interesting conclusion based on nothing.

    Anyway, you've got that the wrong way round. They want the proles to be employed and paying lots of taxes, and the government supporters to use "furlough" as a way of getting income.
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

  10. #10

    Default Umbrella

    Hello!

    Just to let you know all Umbrella companies would have to fund the Apprenticeship levy - as this amount is based on the annual turnover - YES furlough counts as turnover!

    They would also have to fund Employers NI.

    Bear in mind FURLOUGH is a VOLUNTEER scheme no employer is obligated!

    I work with many umbrella companies and none of them are doing it ( I work as a consultant for umbrellas)

    It is posts like this that are causing unnecessary hardship for staff of these companies. As a contractor (who I do use an umbrella myself) I understand these things happen we all know we are going through umbrella companies to manage payroll and for IR35.

    If you want to petition petition the government for not taking care of you not these companies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •