On an industrial scale On an industrial scale
Posts 1 to 6 of 6

More fingers than teeth

minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

Default On an industrial scale

I notice that the usage of 'on an industrial scale' is at a new high, dodgy tickets for football games and lost documents seem to be on an industrial scale this morning.

'Not fit for practice' seems to be on the decrease.

Super poster

tractor 's job has never been outsourced

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    I notice that the usage of 'on an industrial scale' is at a new high, dodgy tickets for football games and lost documents seem to be on an industrial scale this morning.

'Not fit for practice' seems to be on the decrease.
    The one that gets me is when journalists, politicians and other 'educated' types say 'bog standard' when they mean run of the mill or average.

The phrase originates from contract terms and was used extensively in the military where the quartermaster issuing kit would say something like 'Boots, durable moulded sole, size 9, bulk standard, 1 pr, for the use of.

More fingers than teeth

xoggoth - scorchio!

Rather horrible thought. A conveyor belt of, hmmm no.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

System Manager

Sysman is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by tractor View Post
    The one that gets me is when journalists, politicians and other 'educated' types say 'bog standard' when they mean run of the mill or average.

The phrase originates from contract terms and was used extensively in the military where the quartermaster issuing kit would say something like 'Boots, durable moulded sole, size 9, bulk standard, 1 pr, for the use of.
    "Tool, entrenching, for the use of" was my introduction to the world of quartermaster descriptions.

At the time it sounded daft but when I started work on stock control systems I realised that it was a way of classifying objects into a hierarchy.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Super poster

tractor 's job has never been outsourced

Default ..

Quote Originally Posted by Sysman View Post
    "Tool, entrenching, for the use of" was my introduction to the world of quartermaster descriptions.

At the time it sounded daft but when I started work on stock control systems I realised that it was a way of classifying objects into a hierarchy.
    Exactly and now, the morons have sunk it into a morass of swampland, bog standard indeed!

System Manager

Sysman is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by tractor View Post
    Exactly and now, the morons have sunk it into a morass of swampland, bog standard indeed!
    I suspect a weak attempt at toilet humour. Misplaced, obviously.

Whatever happened to the phrase "common or garden"?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.