• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract in Amsterdam: client to pay for flights, hotel, or both?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,
    In discussion with a UK-based agency ref contract opportunity in Amsterdam. Agreed rate, then agent emailed back to ask me "does the rate we just discussed include flights, etc?" I'm surprised she was asking me -- but what's the norm here? Is there indeed a norm? The company knows the agent engaged is in UK, and recruiting from UK -- so can it be assumed from that that company is expecting to pay travel and/or hotel expenses? Etc, etc..: please help!

Btw, my plan is to commute weekly from London to Amsterdam. I have a ltdco, against which I have completed one much-extended contract.

Many thanks,
    Towcester

(Not sure if this belongs in Accounting/Legal or here in General, so please excuse my posting in both.)

Don't ask don't get.

Over the years I've had clients cover flights + accommodation.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by towcester View Post
      -- so can it be assumed .... ?
      NSFW

Comment

Mr Z has done contracts in Johnny Foriegner land and the end client he was contracting for paid for weekly flights home and hotels. UK agent. As scooterscot said - don't ask, don't get. But if I didn't get, I wouldn't do it (unless you're on a fabulous rate and can afford to suck it up)
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Hi all,
          In discussion with a UK-based agency ref contract opportunity in Amsterdam. Agreed rate, then agent emailed back to ask me "does the rate we just discussed include flights, etc?" I'm surprised she was asking me -- but what's the norm here? Is there indeed a norm? The company knows the agent engaged is in UK, and recruiting from UK -- so can it be assumed from that that company is expecting to pay travel and/or hotel expenses? Etc, etc..: please help!

Btw, my plan is to commute weekly from London to Amsterdam. I have a ltdco, against which I have completed one much-extended contract.

Many thanks,
          Towcester

(Not sure if this belongs in Accounting/Legal or here in General, so please excuse my posting in both.)
          They cover your hotel. Including any gladiator films you watch on pay TV.

HTH

Comment

Hi all,

Many thanks,
            Towcester

On which basis did you agree the rate?
            If you hadn't factored in Flights etc then say so FFS!!
            As presumably it wouldn't be viable for you to do the role if offered at an inclusive rate

I can't imagine that you would be confused as to wether you factored them in!!

Actually I can't imagine that you would be discussing rates for a role in Amsterdam without thinking about your travel & stay away costs - Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Don't ask don't get.

Over the years I've had clients cover flights + accommodation.
              But not all the time as Thistle London Heathrow Hotel (West Drayton, Middlesex) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor confirms...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks, @all. I think "don't ask, don't get" does sum it up nicely.

@Dactylion/@Shirley: Worked contract up in Leeds: client paid neither train nor B&B costs. That was the less-experienced me, and in the UK. This is different...

Comment

Thanks, @all. I think "don't ask, don't get" does sum it up nicely.

@Dactylion/@Shirley: Worked contract up in Leeds: client paid neither train nor B&B costs. That was the less-experienced me, and in the UK. This is different...
                  No this isn't different.

For you to take a gig anywhere you need to factor in:
                  a) How you will get there
                  - Cost
                  - Timing
                  -etc
                  b) Wether you will stay there (based on a)
                  - Cost
                  - etc
                  c) If you will make money on the role
                  - Taking into account a-b (plus other stuff like life/family etc)

So when you were discussing, and apparently agreeing, the rate for Amsterdam - were you factoring in the a-b costs?

If you weren't, or more if you don't know - either:
                  i) You are F***ing stupid
                  errr no thats it!!

If you were - either:
                  ii) The rate you agreed included these factors
                  iii) The rate you agreed didn't include these factors

If it was ii then you have the opportunity to tell the pimp that it didn't include them and try to negotiate getting them paid on top (again :-) )
                  If iii then you have to tell the pimp that it didn't include them and hope you can negotiate getting them paid now.

My point is that you MUST know if you were factoring in these costs - if you were and there is a chance of getting them added on top as well then you are in a good position.

PS - Shirley isn't me. But you knew that - Shirley!

Comment

@Dactylion/@Shirley

Shirley he can't be serious?
                    Last edited by mudskipper; 12 August 2014, 05:52.

Comment

Working...
                    X