• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you be an IPSE member if it weren't for the insurances offered?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    As I had the IR35 insurance with Qdos I contacted them initially when I got a letter from HMRC for a PAYE review (which I knew was a leader to an IR35 investigation).

After 4 years and 3 different Qdos people handling my case HMRC deemed me guilty. Qdos decided that the insurance didn't cover the £7k needed to take it to the commissioner for appeal and I would have to pay for that myself if I wanted to take the risk.

At the end of my tether I called PCG (as it was at the time) and they sorted it within a couple of months without having to go to the commissioners. HMRC said (paraphrasing) I was guilty but they would let me off on this occasion.

YMMV
    And there's the difference. IPSE are not here to make a profit, and is of course a not-for-profit organisation. IPSE are there to protect contractors and independent professionals from HMRC and other attacks. You won't find anyone else prepared to risk a million quid taking S660 to the House of Lords.
    World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Poll to follow.
      Hmm, not much PCG love around here...
      That's a shame as they genuinely believe that they trying to do *good* (pick your definition thereof), and they are the only non-profit in the game... Everyone else is looking to pick one's pocket in order to line theirs with a few shekels.

Don't get me wrong; I'm no PCG apologist... Just ask that insufferable oaf <insert PCG sock-puppet here> what my reputation's like in the other place... But I don't think that they deserve the level of derision that's been on display here this week.

ICBW; it's not as if it hasn't happened before.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

There's also Accountax/AbbeyTax, but they're on a contract basis rather than annual policies.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          That's a shame as they genuinely believe that they trying to do *good* (pick your definition thereof), and they are the only non-profit in the game... Everyone else is looking to pick one's pocket in order to line theirs with a few shekels.

Don't get me wrong; I'm no PCG apologist... Just ask that insufferable oaf <insert PCG sock-puppet here> what my reputation's like in the other place... But I don't think that they deserve the level of derision that's been on display here this week.

I posted the poll out of genuine curiosity. From a personal point of view I think the insurances provided are a really good value product, but I've no desire to see my hard-earned spent on re-brands, office space, events and an online MBA course I'll never use.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            That is a fair point. They were going to stick that one on all married contractors.
            No they weren't. They were going to stick it on all married contractors who chose to split income. There's a big difference.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              No they weren't. They were going to stick it on all married contractors who chose to split income. There's a big difference.
              Not on those married contractors who are both fee earners.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

I'll preface this by saying in advance - this is NOT a rant or a tantrum, no matter how it may read to some

The challenge for IPSE (as I see it) is that they have 20000 "subscribers" (people who are there for some reason but aren't interested in taking part) and 500 members.

The question is why are those 20000 not involved more - what do they want out of the organisation? Why are they members at all?

Why is the turnout for the elections so poor - is it because people really don't care about how it is run, or is it something more basic like not understanding exactly what they are voting for? Is it because people see it as the same old faces each time? As has been shown in the IPSE fora, I have no real understanding of how the organisation is governed and what the CC do (although I vote in the elections each time) - is that a shortfall on my part, or on the part of the IPSE executive / non-executive bodies, or a bit of both?

Ultimately, I think that people aren't clear on exactly what IPSE "do" - we've heard words of encouragement on things like SC clearance, opt out (disaster), ICT abuse, lobbying etc. - and yet the only real tangible, obvious success that the PCG had was with the Arctic case. There MUST be more that they have done, but if isn't obvious to people then there will always be some kind of disconnect between the subscribers and the few genuine members.

I'm holding judgement a bit on the direction that IPSE is going to take. Personally, I read the advert slogan of "Are you an independent professional or contractor?" a little off putting. Maybe I misread it and put an "a" before contractor, but my immediate thought was that the organisation was now implying that if you are a contractor (or see yourself as one) then you can't be an independent professional.

As Stu says - I see the insurances as good value for money, though, which is the primary reason for my membership. I don't like to see money being wasted, and I'm not convinced that IPSE have always spent wisely.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

This makes interesting reading. Note the one about Family Business Tax; stopping stuff is sometimes as important as doing stuff.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    This makes interesting reading. Note the one about Family Business Tax; stopping stuff is sometimes as important as doing stuff.
                    I've already pointed out how disgraceful it is that PCG has been erased from IPSE's history. Lazy search/replace is no excuse. That one act is utterly shameful, and someone should get a kicking for it.

However, I doubt that will happen as the PCG circle-jerk into irrelevance continues apace.
                    Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      I'll preface this by saying in advance - this is NOT a rant or a tantrum, no matter how it may read to some

The challenge for IPSE (as I see it) is that they have 20000 "subscribers" (people who are there for some reason but aren't interested in taking part) and 500 members.

The question is why are those 20000 not involved more - what do they want out of the organisation? Why are they members at all?

Why is the turnout for the elections so poor - is it because people really don't care about how it is run, or is it something more basic like not understanding exactly what they are voting for? Is it because people see it as the same old faces each time? As has been shown in the IPSE fora, I have no real understanding of how the organisation is governed and what the CC do (although I vote in the elections each time) - is that a shortfall on my part, or on the part of the IPSE executive / non-executive bodies, or a bit of both?

Ultimately, I think that people aren't clear on exactly what IPSE "do" - we've heard words of encouragement on things like SC clearance, opt out (disaster), ICT abuse, lobbying etc. - and yet the only real tangible, obvious success that the PCG had was with the Arctic case. There MUST be more that they have done, but if isn't obvious to people then there will always be some kind of disconnect between the subscribers and the few genuine members.

I'm holding judgement a bit on the direction that IPSE is going to take. Personally, I read the advert slogan of "Are you an independent professional or contractor?" a little off putting. Maybe I misread it and put an "a" before contractor, but my immediate thought was that the organisation was now implying that if you are a contractor (or see yourself as one) then you can't be an independent professional.

As Stu says - I see the insurances as good value for money, though, which is the primary reason for my membership. I don't like to see money being wasted, and I'm not convinced that IPSE have always spent wisely.
                      Sometimes people are just quite happy to join an organisation they feel is fighting for them without seeing the need to get too involved in the politics of running the organisation.

Just like a football supporter's club, some people join to be with like-minded people but don't care about the running of the club as long as the bus turns up on time to take them to the game.

Comment

Working...
                      X