• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extremely boring washing machine question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda are the same company. A washing machine repair man told me they are poor quality wise and more prone to breaking down than the more premium makes.

Main thing you should be looking at is load size and spin speed. A lot of the cheaper ones have 5kg load and spin of 1000 or less.

I use Bosch, never had any problems. Last one was 10 yrs when it went. Current one is 3 yrs old and still going strong despite being dropped when we moved.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Calgon are no longer allowed to use their "Washing machines live longer with Calgon" jingle, as they were unable to prove it's true.
      I didn't use calgon but ran a capful of vinegar on the hottest wash through once a month and that seemed to do the trick, washing machine (bosch) in house in blighty is still going strong after 8 years, kinda hope the tenants are just as diligent.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

For extreme boring you want a drill, not a washing machine.

Comment

Drills are way more exciting. For instance, mine has a hammer attachment and a little LED. None of the washing machines have a torch.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Drills are way more exciting. For instance, mine has a hammer attachment and a little LED. None of the washing machines have a torch.
            real men have routers and electric saws!

this one is cracking by the way:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...-circular-saw/

no led though.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have a router. That's how I'm able to post on CUK.

Circular saws are far too scary, I'll stick with the jig-saw and hand-saw.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Lost on the plebs.

Comment

I have a router. That's how I'm able to post on CUK.
                  you a septic?
                  its pronounced 'Raowter'
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

But probably still less dull than all the Scotland threads

Our trusty washer-dryer is giving up the ghost after about 8 years and we need a new one. Looking online, they seem pretty much identical so how do you choose a good one? Is there any difference between a £700 one from LG, a £400 one from Hoover or a £250 Indesit/no-name special - are they all the same underneath anyway?

At least with fridges you can see visible differences but washer-dryers all seem to have similar capacities and other than a shiny touch-screen, what does spending an extra monkey get you? I don't mind spending more if it gets quality but does it?

Sorry for the boring thread. I'll post one about boobies next perhaps.
                    Not boring at all - a very timely and interesting question/thread for me, as I need a reliable washing machine for my new place.

I was planning to buy a MIELE WKF120 this friday, for £1200 (less £100); but I might be talked into a slightly more expensive one if it makes much difference.

You seem to pay significantly more when the spin speed goes from 1400 RPM to 1600 RPM, which seems hardly worth bothering about. Maybe the higher spin speed dries the contents slightly better; but I'd be happier to pay more for a larger capacity and of course reliability.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Miele is the brand of choice. I bought one pretty recently that has a 10 year parts and labour warranty, can't be bad.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X