• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish independence scare stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    doesn't really matter, the three muppets have said they will carry on underwriting Scotland either way.

Salmond is on a winner.
    That is true. It will usually be in our interest to help out our smaller neighbours when they get in trouble. Nobody wants them going under. And we're all family in a way, even if we do have our squabbles from time to time. Even 90 years after independence:

BBC News - Irish Republic bail-out in UK interest - George Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      So... I am English and live in England but on balance I think independence would be a good move for Scotland (not sure about the rest of us but that's another question). There is some overplaying of risk by the No campaign, but it seems worse than I thought. Have you got a link to back up the No campaign portraying "a mass close down of Scottish business" - I've certainly not read that but I could have missed it.

As you say politicians are not trusted so in the interest of balance, let's look at the underplaying of risks by the Yes campaign:

1. Plan A: there will be a currency union. In reality it looks very unlikely, and I don;t think in reality either country would want EWNI to have oversight of iScotland's fiscal matters.
      2. Plan B: the Panama solution. This will very likely be incompatible with EU membership as iScotland would have no central bank. As Plan A and Plan B look dead in the water, it looks like the pound scots, which is an entirely sensible solution and it can be pegged to sterling (although there are some risks there, but they can always be managed by revaluation which would not see the world end). The problem is, the wavering pro DevoMax voter who is stuck in the middle wants to keep sterling in their pocket, so the YES campaign has to wave the false promises of Plans A and B
      3. If Plan A is rejected iScotland will not accept a share of the national debt because sterling is an asset. Sterling is not an asset but a means of exchange. Make a sophist argument all you like, but what will EWNI's view on cooperation be (e.g. easy EU membership?) What will the credit rating agencies think - a default? Will iScotland be allowed into the EU if it doesn't accept the debts?
      4. EU membership is guaranteed: Here I think the No campaign is indeed overplaying the risks, but the risks do exist. It is possible that Spain will dig its heels in to prevent membership, but I think unlikely as it is heavily in debt and can be leaned on. More likely that they may dig their heels in over the terms of entry. I would expect they will be allowed an exemption to Schengen as not joining the CTA would be madness. Also an exemption from a path towards joining the Euro as there is a model for EU countries already. But a central bank? This is fundamental to stability, so no exemption there. A share of the rebate? Who knows but there are real risks there.
      5. Oil reserves. Who thinks that the YES campaign has gone for a reasonable middle of the road estimate rather than a top estimate?

So vote YES, folks, and you have a bright future, with a much better neighbour than some of my 'angry-still-living-at-home-with-mum' CUK compatriots would suggest, but expect a bumpy and possibly very bumpy ride over a 2 to 10 year period.
      Please do not try to bring balance into an argument on CUK. Please stick to abuse and ridicule.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Well it is better than any in the Eurozone that you are so keen to join
        Or the arc of prosperity.

Scotland can change to a better future and be part of northern Europe's arc of prosperity. We have three countries * Ireland to our west, Iceland to our north and Norway to our east - all in the top six wealthiest countries in the world. In contrast devolved Scotland is in 18th place. We can join that arc of prosperity. By matching their success Scotland would be £4000 a head better off. It's time we seized this opportunity.

Comment

Please do not try to bring balance into an argument on CUK. Please stick to abuse and ridicule.
          STFU you thick ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            STFU you thick ****.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

RBS and Lloyds/HBoS didn't make such a song and dance about Scottish jobs when they were (are) offwhoring 1,000s of jobs to India.

And another knight of the realm for John Lewis has said prices will go up in an independent Scotland. What a choice: Higher prices in Waitrose or food banks.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                RBS and Lloyds/HBoS didn't make such a song and dance about Scottish jobs when they were (are) offwhoring 1,000s of jobs to India.

And another knight of the realm for John Lewis has said prices will go up in an independent Scotland. What a choice: Higher prices in Waitrose or food banks.
                So who is going to run the Scottish banking system?

Just think of all the waste being saved by removing competitive retailers from the equation with everyone feeding from food banks run by the government.

Comment

So who is going to run the Scottish banking system?

Just think of all the waste being saved by removing competitive retailers from the equation with everyone feeding from food banks run by the government.
                  which are filled by supermarkets
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I would like to know how foodbanks are going to go away if there is a yes vote.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      which are filled by supermarket THROWAWAYS
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X