• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things aren't what they used to be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, shhh, it's nearly 11.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      Email at clientco this morning:

Not sure what to think of this country anymore to be fair, I saw very few people wearing poppies in West London this morning it makes me
      I might be being dense but I am not sure why you are upset?
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

11.11 is the start of Fasnacht preparation in Basel. In my first year here, the building management arranged for a fire alarm test at 11am...!
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

To be fair it has gone a little bit crazy this year. We had a lone bugler at the start of every football match the week before remembrance Sunday. For both Saturday and Sunday matches.
          And pop concerts.

I understand the need to reinvigorate, and never forget but we do run the risk of cheapening things if we're not too careful.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            11.11 is the start of Fasnacht preparation in Basel. In my first year here, the building management arranged for a fire alarm test at 11am...!
            Carnival season starts today in Koeln/Bonn.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
              Maybe they're wearing poppy wristbands instead (like I'm doing right now)
              No, I don't think they are. I don't mind people not wearing them, it should be their choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                I might be being dense but I am not sure why you are upset?
                Nah you're not being dense, to me it's like people just don't care perhaps I'm being over sensitive.
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

I am all in favour of remembering the fallen.

My concern is those who think the world owes them a living due to the sacrifices of others.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    I love the poppy, I think it's poignant. I've ordered one of the poppies from the tower. Just pointing out valid reasons why people may choose not to wear one.

But I don't think remembrance and nostalgia for wartime should go hand in hand. I wasn't offended by it, but it may be a reason why people don't want to be part of remembrance day.

But I tend to try to consider other people's viewpoints, preferably without name calling.
                    Read the post again. I havent resorted to 'name calling.' I have pulled you for questioning the songs which they sang with their fallen commerades and memories they bring to the old dads and mums from that era.

Carry on.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                      Nah you're not being dense, to me it's like people just don't care perhaps I'm being over sensitive.
                      Perhaps you are misreading the email?

It read to me like they were prompting everyone to take part but acknowledging that they do not have to (after all, if participation is not voluntary then it is meaningless).
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X