• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Testers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Cannot put live data in test environment
    don't get me wrong we are not talking lots of bugs and the dev team get judged on that but the initial requester has to test and sign off prior to deployment to prod environments

Also erm.... Agile kinda relies on dev.test.rework
    the data supplied in Dev is sanitised or made up but representative of data needed for calculations .

You may be able to put Real data in it will probably not be live unless you can get permission, i.e. it can be earlier years or sanitised replace names / identifying characteristics with other values.

Testers and customers should have checked with real data.
    I have done the data security courses and we have very active works councils. Surprised they managed it with all the doughnuts.
    Last edited by vetran; 18 November 2014, 19:32.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      We're right at the top, get used to it

Anyone doing the work is at the bottom.

Anyone with "Architecture" or "Strategy" in the role title is a spectator on the sidelines.

Anyone with "Project", "Programme", "Test" or "Delivery" followed by "Manager" in the role title is taking the stress AND the blame.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        Anyone doing the work is at the bottom.

Anyone with "Architecture" or "Strategy" in the role title is a spectator on the sidelines.

Anyone with "Project", "Programme", "Test" or "Delivery" followed by "Manager" in the role title is taking the stress AND the blame.
        This kind of thinking is why the technical folk remain at the bottom, they are incapable of recognising the worth of anything else other than the technical side.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          the data supplied in Dev is sanitised or made up but representative of data needed for calculations .

You may be able to put Real data in it will probably not be live unless you can get permission, i.e. it can be earlier years or sanitised replace names / identifying characteristics with other values.

I have done the data security courses and we have very active works councils. Surprised they managed it with all the doughnuts.
          I've worked for all the major retail banks pretty much, in a test management capacity and I don't think I've been in one who actually sanitises their data when loading prod cuts into test and dev environments, unless you count the setting of passwords as 'sanitising'.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            This kind of thinking is why the technical folk remain at the bottom, they are incapable of recognising the worth of anything else other than the technical side.
            Show me the org chart of any large corporation and you'll find that the "do-ers" are actually at the bottom.

Some people like doing the work and focus on that. Others focus purely on how they'll get their next role.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              I've worked for all the major retail banks pretty much, in a test management capacity and I don't think I've been in one who actually sanitises their data when loading prod cuts into test and dev environments, unless you count the setting of passwords as 'sanitising'.
              There is frequently a difference between best practice & reality.

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/da...ces-161213.pdf

Data Obfuscation - managing data privacy in development and test environments

we know what should be done getting the bill payer to do it is a completely different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                Where exactly do they fit in the pecking order?

Got one here and she's a right little bossy boots. Always referring to us as "my developers".

Gets right on my tits.

The way I see it is that it is us developers that do the jokes....

(..mind you, some of the places I've worked, that statement could be taken literally)
                I've got a lot of respect for testers compared with developers.

Too many times have I seen a developer sit back in their chair slowly sipping a cappuccino trying to explain to a tester that some blatantly tulipy code with no error handling is just working 'by design' or 'as per the spec'.

"Yes it crashes and beeps when you do that, but that's because you put the wrong values in. Bug closed as 'Wont Fix'. Reason 'Working by design' "

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  There is frequently a difference between best practice & reality.

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/da...ces-161213.pdf

Data Obfuscation - managing data privacy in development and test environments

we know what should be done getting the bill payer to do it is a completely different matter.
                  I'm aware of that

You were the one that said data was sanitised, when generally, it isn't.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    Show me the org chart of any large corporation and you'll find that the "do-ers" are actually at the bottom.

Some people like doing the work and focus on that. Others focus purely on how they'll get their next role.
                    Again - the techy folk are SO anxious to tell everyone why they're better. Get over yourself. Managing IS doing. Selling IS doing. Designing the whole darn thing on paper IS doing. Just because you don't enjoy those parts doesn't stop them being valuable, the inability to see that marks you out as just another nerd who cannot understand the world outside their computer
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                      I'm aware of that

You were the one that said data was sanitised, when generally, it isn't.
                      [QUOTE]should have supplied data for them to test in Dev[/QUOTE]

as I say best practices are not always reality. I like to start with BP and get used to being negotiated down, my email says sanitised, theirs says lets copy from production = my large hairy butt is covered.

Comment

Working...
                      X