• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How tulip does the new Star Wars look?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Instead, there'll be CGI rollerball R2 instead to add the comedy value in the same way that Jar-Jar did.

First prequel was awful.

Second prequel was a rip-off of Empire.

Third prequel I quite enjoyed.

What benefit does a cross lightsaber give, apart from the ability to accidentally slice something sideways? Not convinced by this one - Jar Jar Abrams could have an interesting year ahead of him.
    I have no problem with CGI, in general, only when it overtakes the substance, so a lot of CGI requires a lot of content to avoid the distraction; certainly not the case with the prequels. They always play around with the lightsaber - potentially useful for blocking and close quarters combat (are we debating lightsaber configuration? ).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      I have no problem with CGI, in general, only when it overtakes the substance, so a lot of CGI requires a lot of content to avoid the distraction; certainly not the case with the prequels. They always play around with the lightsaber - potentially useful for blocking and close quarters combat (are we debating lightsaber configuration? ).
      The new lightsaber looks a bit "flamey" as well - looks like the crystal is out of alignment, probably a lost art in the intervening years between episodes 6 and 7.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Well it makes a change from immigration
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The new lightsaber looks a bit "flamey" as well - looks like the crystal is out of alignment, probably a lost art in the intervening years between episodes 6 and 7.
          Makes me think they might be going for a more medieval feel to combat with a light sabre. Less finesse, more brute force.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Makes me think they might be going for a more medieval feel to combat with a light sabre. Less finesse, more brute force.
            That would make sense - there is no-one who can teach lightsaber combat any more.

In the prequels, you see the Jedi just past their peak - when it comes to it, the fight between Yoda and the Emperor ends with Yoda having to run away because he concedes that the fighting style that the Jedi are used to is no match for the Sith.

In the originals, the only people who know anything about how to fight are an old man and a half-machine (OK, more machine than human) - and neither have needed to fight for a while. That leaves Luke to develop his own style, which is better than his father's, but wouldn't be a match for someone from the prequels who was trained in the different fighting styles.

So, if there is no-one left to teach how to do it, then brute force to win would make sense.

(There may be someone who can teach it, I've not read any of the books that deal with anything happening after the fall of the Emperor and Vader)
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

If you slid another lightsaber down the blade of the other and hit the cross guard lightsaber bit, you run the risk that it pushes that blade down into your hands, surely?

Daft idea.
              The Sith are a bit nawtee and will most likey use some sort of dark power that will stop them from getting hurt.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

That would make sense - there is no-one who can teach lightsaber combat any more.

In the prequels, you see the Jedi just past their peak - when it comes to it, the fight between Yoda and the Emperor ends with Yoda having to run away because he concedes that the fighting style that the Jedi are used to is no match for the Sith.

In the originals, the only people who know anything about how to fight are an old man and a half-machine (OK, more machine than human) - and neither have needed to fight for a while. That leaves Luke to develop his own style, which is better than his father's, but wouldn't be a match for someone from the prequels who was trained in the different fighting styles.

So, if there is no-one left to teach how to do it, then brute force to win would make sense.

(There may be someone who can teach it, I've not read any of the books that deal with anything happening after the fall of the Emperor and Vader)
                The books aren't canon as far as I'm aware, but yes, there were still people left who could teach the ways of the force. Even some long dead ones like Exar Kun.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

And here's the George Lucas version...

Comment

Commune with Qui Gon Jin, you can!

Comment

I like the Swiss Army Lightsaber

Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X