• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How should the UK hungry be helped?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    You've got to be kidding haven't you? Isn't that what the state is for
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Popping the house price / rent bubble would be the best way to tackle this.

Then people's money would go further.
      If you're on housing benefit it makes no difference to you how much the rent is.

Clearly the use of food banks has increased with the increase in food banks, so the best way to reduce the dependence on food banks is to close them all down.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

What did 'poor' people do before food banks?

The underlying issues do not get addressed by inventing foodbanks. There are 3 things wrong with the whole concept of a foodbank:

1.It creates a dependency for those that use them.
        2.It lets the authorities off the hook of providing a correct and more sustainable solution to the problems.
        3. The rest of us think we've done our bit for society by lobbing a tin of beans in a bucket.

Give a man a fish, and all that.

Comment

Send them off to Romania and Bulgaria and have the welfare states of those countries sort them out. After all being in the EU they can't stop them coming in

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            But it's not a bubble, so nothing to pop. Next idea?
            LOL of course it's a bubble. High house prices, high rent is the cancer at the heart of this country.

HTB, a blind eye to BTL, QE, low IR, foreign investment, are all intended to artificially maintain the bubble. The gov could easily put breaks on - but it has not, and why? The fundamentals are rotten. Be in no doubt it is a bubble (particularly the SE) and will pop. But no UK governed wants to be in charge when it does, because it will destroy the economy. The economy is absolutely defined by the housing market. It's the blue whale in the room.

Reduce cost of living (mostly due to high house prices), reduce benefits, reduce UK debt, and hone our competitive edge.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

The only way to solve the "Central London" problem is to ensure businesses setup outside of London, can't see that happening though
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                4. I don't own a car. I use public transport. There's no excuse to own a car at the same time your using a food bank.
                What rot. If you don't live in a big city, that's utter nonsense.

The poor people I know don't have Sky, smoke or frequent the boozer/bookies.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Buses don't work in the countryside? Planing your day is all it takes. Trouble with Brits in what used to be privilege is now necessity and we can't imagine without. It'll all end in tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Buses don't work in the countryside? Planing your day is all it takes. Trouble with Brits in what used to be privilege is now necessity and we can't imagine without. It'll all end in tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    That's absolute bulltulip and I suspect you know it. Bus services are borderline non-existent in a large proportion of the country, and even when they do exist they're generally unreliable and don't run 24 hours. I actually tried to use our local bus service to get to down recently - they're meant to come to my nearest stop every 20 minutes. I waited 45 minutes before several buses turned up at once (how cliché).

It genuinely upsets me how the privileged who post here have long since forgotten, or simply have no idea, how hard it is to operate with no money. Just remember that the national minimum wage is £6.50 per hour. If you're lucky enough to get a job and lucky enough to get one that pays 40 hours per week then you may just clear £230 per week. I doubt there's many on here who would accept that rate per day. And don't dare pretend that we somehow work harder, or simply deserve it more than "they" do.
                    Last edited by vwdan; 8 December 2014, 13:13.

Comment

You clearly live in cloud cuckoo land.

One of my brother's who lives in the countryside decided to be "green" once. So he got on his local bus. It took him 1.5 hours to take him a trip that would take him 20 minutes driving. On the way back from his trip, which was visiting someone in his local hospital, he had to make sure he was on the bus before 6pm as that's when the buses stopped. There was also only one bus an hour.

Where I live in London if I want to visit someone in my local hospital I can walk. Even when I can't walk I have buses that run 24 hours a day to take me there. Even in the night there are at least 2 buses an hour.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X