• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

where can i get free computer equipment companies get rid off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Most companies can't give PCs away because they have to be safely shredded of confidential data. Of course with a live linux cd this could be done for free in 5 minutes, but the pointless IT managers would rather waste money paying an external company to do that and then sell it (I've bought a few ex-corp laptops this way, my fav lappie is an old IBM Thinkpad).
    It's not a question of whether it can be done free or not, it's a question of traceability and liability. The commercial data and hardware disposal companies are (or should be) certified to recognised standards and will provide written certified evidence that the destruction has been done in accordance with those standards -Dates, times, locations, serial numbers, techniques, descriptions etc. This helps to indemnify the client against any damages resulting from data on kit that has been disposed of coming back to bite them.

Yes local IT could do it for free, but if they screw it up in any way the liabilities to their employer can get very big, very fast.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

All they have to do is let my Mrs save a file on it and it's ruined forever, wiped...

Comment

Check out your local IBM office this time next week...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Yes local IT could do it for free, but if they screw it up in any way the liabilities to their employer can get very big, very fast.
          Local IT can and indeed do screw it up, but how much more than external contractors (and the ones I've met in the data cleansing business are very much on the lowest end...)?

What added value do they offer? I would be curious to know what software they use and if it's better than THC-Secure Deletion Tools.
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

proper way would be to use one of these

HD-3WXL Hard Drive Degausser

Comment

Working...
            X