• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scared to spend hard-earned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shut your mouth and look at my 'warchest' . Loadsofmoney

Comment

Thanks to all who've replied so far. I'm not overly worried about being benched, I'm prepared to work basically anywhere in the north west if I have to, but I read other posts here and start to realise that anything's possible in terms of finding work or not. I've been lucky in that I've had no downtime so far in 21 months of contracting but you should never count your chickens etc etc

I'm the only earner in the household so if the cash starts to run out then the missus will have to go onto chatlines or webcams or something...
      • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
      • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
        I'm the only earner in the household so if the cash starts to run out then the missus will have to go onto chatlines or webcams or something...
        Send me her details and i'll let you know whether that's a viable insurance option.

Comment

I have 18 months in my warchest of bare minimum living costs, but also on top of that I have personal funds to keep me going as well in the mean time.

How long have you been contracting should give you and inidication of how long your warchest should be (never think of a warchest in purely financial terms, always time)

EDIT Just seen you have been contracting 21 months, so warchest should be starting to be built up by now, I would expect after two years of gigs you should have 6 months
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I would say one year. I have twice been off for a year. This is the second time, though I spent most of this year doing other things rather than looking for work.

The contractors at my last place all spent to the max and were reliant on their money coming in each month.
            Also none of them had any insurance (for them or the company) and complained when they were moved to another agency who requested that insurance was a requirement of the contract.
            Last edited by worzelGummidge; 5 February 2015, 11:56.

Comment

I always suggest to people to spend their first 2 or 3 years contracting as if they were still earning their last pemie salary. More if possible.

One of the biggest hurdles for contracting newbies is seeing the headline day rate, extrapolating that to a year, and assuming their loaded.

If you already have a mortgage and missus/kids when you start contracting, this hurdle is mitigated somewhat as you are probably less likely to go crazy with the perceived riches of contracting.

Comment

Really is a piece of string question.

I have enough to tide me over for 3-4 months - a lot less then others but have been contracting a smiler length of time (25 months) and bought a house in that time. I have no debt payments other than the mortgage but do have access to credit that would tide me over for a lot longer if needed, plus my wife can also go back to work and end her sabbatical if the tulip did hit the contracting economy. I'm also prepared to travel from London up to Sheffield so that's a sizeable area of opportunity.

Ideally I would like to get one year+ in the bank and focus on plan B for 6 months.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

$64000 question this one.

Gets even more complicated if you've got current debts. i.e. Do you pay off asap and have no warchest or make sure you've got some fluid funds just in case.
                  In the past, I've done both. Paid off a bit and saved a bit. Depends how much your paying on debts too - if its 0% CC then not so bad.

In terms of how many months, personal decision I guess. Im happier when I know I can last 6 months.
                  Having been on the end of a 3 month benching once it does make you think so. And I found money goes quciker than you think.

And not wanting to start this one again - claim JSA when benched. It'll make warchest last a smidge longer. Its hassle but after 3 months on the bench you may rue the £1000 you've just lost out on.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I have a long(ish) list of expensive shiz that I want but I'm trying to resist.

As for debts, pay off everything you can which has a higher rate of interest than you can earn through savings. That's a no-brainer. If you are benched, it's those debts that will cause you the most worry.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
                      Thanks to all who've replied so far. I'm not overly worried about being benched, I'm prepared to work basically anywhere in the north west if I have to, but I read other posts here and start to realise that anything's possible in terms of finding work or not.
                      My really significant was seven months. I was prepared to work anywhere during that time, but I just couldn't get anything. When I did find something, I stopped looking because it was a definite - and it then fell through and I'd wasted six weeks waiting for clearance which never came. By that stage, the warchest was pretty low - in sheer desperation, I applied for a permie role. Interviewed for that and a contract the same day, both offered - contract accepted

Past performance is no indicator of future performance - I was willing to work anywhere by that stage, and had always thought I'd walk into something quickly. You only have to look at this thread to see how perilous things can get - 633 applications
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X