• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scared to spend hard-earned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
    Thanks to all who've replied so far. I'm not overly worried about being benched, I'm prepared to work basically anywhere in the north west if I have to, but I read other posts here and start to realise that anything's possible in terms of finding work or not. I've been lucky in that I've had no downtime so far in 21 months of contracting but you should never count your chickens etc etc

I'm the only earner in the household so if the cash starts to run out then the missus will have to go onto chatlines or webcams or something...
    Ignorance is bliss eh?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

One important thing to consider when working out how much warchest you need is to think about what your outgoings are per month (on average). I had a couple of months off and I was quite surprised how little I spent in that period. I didn't particularly change my lifestyle but the actual cash I needed was much less than I thought it was. It just meant that few months my net wealth didn't go up but actual outgoings was fairly low. I think many people's warchests would actually last a lot lot longer than they realise if they have to.

I gauged my warchest on how many months I had at my current spending/saving rate. The reality can be much cheaper so warchest looks a lot healthier. Certainly relaxed my view on my war chest since then.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        You only have to look at this thread to see how perilous things can get - 633 applications
        Ouch! I really really hope it doesn't come to that
        • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
        • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          One important thing to consider when working out how much warchest you need is to think about what your outgoings are per month (on average). I had a couple of months off and I was quite surprised how little I spent in that period. I didn't particularly change my lifestyle but the actual cash I needed was much less than I thought it was. It just meant that few months my net wealth didn't go up but actual outgoings was fairly low. I think many people's warchests would actually last a lot lot longer than they realise if they have to.

I gauged my warchest on how many months I had at my current spending/saving rate. The reality can be much cheaper so warchest looks a lot healthier. Certainly relaxed my view on my war chest since then.
          The issues comes with also deciding when do you start cutting back to make it last longer. If I knew I was going to take a year off now, I'd plan things so that I knew I had plenty to last the year and however long it took to get back to work. If I was benched now, I know I wouldn't start cutting back on day one, because I'm confident I'd find something. After a month, I might vaguely think about it, but I like my standard of living. After three months, I might be a bit more interested in cutting back - but after three months, you know that there is bound to be something along soon. So it's probably about six months before you really start making cuts - at which stage you find a contract, splurge the cash and never think about cutting back again.

Until the next time.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Funnily enough, left last contract in late Oct, got a few bites in Nov, nothing reeled in by Dec, so in December, I made a pretty big review of regular payments for things I don't need, or should be paying less for after a bit of research.

I do this sort of overhaul every time I'm on the bench...And then start splurging like a sailor on payday once the new contract is signed...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              The issues comes with also deciding when do you start cutting back to make it last longer. If I knew I was going to take a year off now, I'd plan things so that I knew I had plenty to last the year and however long it took to get back to work. If I was benched now, I know I wouldn't start cutting back on day one, because I'm confident I'd find something. After a month, I might vaguely think about it, but I like my standard of living. After three months, I might be a bit more interested in cutting back - but after three months, you know that there is bound to be something along soon. So it's probably about six months before you really start making cuts - at which stage you find a contract, splurge the cash and never think about cutting back again.

Until the next time.
              It depends what you spend your money on.

When you are benched you have more time so some of the things you spend money on to help save time you don't need or want to do. For example shopping in a market for fruit and veg/ ethnic store versus a supermarket. (OK I'm watching a food program.)
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X