• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Ere, where's the elephant then?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's another idiot online whose "proofs" that an all-knowing god must have inspired the Koran include a vague reference to "night shading into day" as proof that the author knew the world was round, as only Allah could have at the time.

Even ignoring the assumption that this was anything more than a poetic description of twilight, this readily observable fact was widely accepted in the Prophet's day, having been postulated by Archimedes a few thousand years earlier.

But hey, let's not challenge the "logic" of the religious.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The circumference of the earth is just over 24k miles
      and its spins around in about 24 hours, so you are doing about 1k mph,

If you jump up, you will be off the ground for about half a second

= 1/7200 of an hour
      1/7200 of a thousand miles is .13 of a mile or 228 yards

so the cleric is right. if you jumped up you should land somewhere near McDonalds, or maybe in the pub.

But now we have established that, it's clear that the sky is rotating around the earth. and as its much further away, it must be going twice as fast.

So this time when you jump up, the sky will grab you and drop you 450 yards away.
      and anyone who goes a quarter of a mile for a McDonalds is an idiot

so the cleric is clearly wrong.

so now we are in the situation where the cleric is both right and wrong.

but he is right by 200 yards and wrong by 400 yards. Clearly two wrongs don't make a right, but two rights do make a wrong.

thank you for listening

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        and its spins around in about 24 hours, so you are doing about 1k mph......thank you for listening

Thanks for clearing that up
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          and its spins around in about 24 hours, so you are doing about 1k mph,

If you jump up, you will be off the ground for about half a second

= 1/7200 of an hour
          1/7200 of a thousand miles is .13 of a mile or 228 yards

so the cleric is right. if you jumped up you should land somewhere near McDonalds, or maybe in the pub.

But now we have established that, it's clear that the sky is rotating around the earth. and as its much further away, it must be going twice as fast.

So this time when you jump up, the sky will grab you and drop you 450 yards away.
          and anyone who goes a quarter of a mile for a McDonalds is an idiot

so the cleric is clearly wrong.

so now we are in the situation where the cleric is both right and wrong.

but he is right by 200 yards and wrong by 400 yards. Clearly two wrongs don't make a right, but two rights do make a wrong.

thank you for listening

The cleric should test his theory by free-falling in a lift (as much as lifts can) and then jumping up just before it hits the ground to save himself from becoming raspberry jam on the floor. Then I'll believe anything he tells me.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Where's the force coming from? And if it needs a force why doesn't the earth get tired and slow down?
            It is slowing down ever so slighty. They have to adjust UTC to GMT every few years. GMT is always 24 hours wrt to the Sun. UTC is wrt to the stars. A day is aprox 1.5 ms longer than a century ago.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              It is slowing down ever so slighty. They have to adjust UTC to GMT every few years. GMT is always 24 hours wrt to the Sun. UTC is wrt to the stars. A day is aprox 1.5 ms longer than a century ago.
              That explains why today feels like it's been dragging on for hours.
              England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                That explains why today feels like it's been dragging on for hours.
                Are we there yet?

Comment

Confused, you will be...

'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                    That's due to gravity of other celestial bodies, which I don't think is what he was getting at.

Comment

Aren't there four elephants on top of a giant turtle? I'm sure I was taught that in O-level physics.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X