• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good riddance of the week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Assuming the records weren't destroyed by the Irish - just saying, like!

Which as it turns out after a quick search, my Maternal Grandmother's records still exist! I think I'll apply for an Irish passport!!!!

Quids in after the end of March!!!!
    Just the fact that you’re eligible for one means that the Home Secretary can unilaterally revoke your British citizenship. Turns out that your British citizenship is only a privilege, not a right.

Looks like our discussion has come full circle....

Comment

We don't want you back in the UK anyway, this just gives us precedent.
      Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Just the fact that you’re eligible for one means that the Home Secretary can unilaterally revoke your British citizenship. Turns out that your British citizenship is only a privilege, not a right.

Looks like our discussion has come full circle....
      I've no entitlement to any other citizenship. So I've more right to be in the UK than Zigenare.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I've no entitlement to any other citizenship. So I've more right to be in the UK than Zigenare.
        Not until I'm in receipt of my shiny new passport! The wife has one, my little boy has one and very soon I'll be just like Old Greg, a Plastic Paddy! I genuinely hope I won't be as much of a twunt but... who knows?

I can feel the rebel songs coursing through my bones!

Mind you, I already know most of the songs from kicking Paddy's front doors in after a couple of tours in XMG and rapid response out of Aldergrove - oh and Meridian, that is playing the hard man, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shaunbhoy wasn't one of the scalies that helped us right the wrong and sing the song.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
          And he was of Dutch nationality by all accounts. Does that make her entitled to a Dutch citizenship by marriage?

Just asking...
          1. Netherlands does not allow dual citizenship, so as long as she holds on to her British and Bangladeshi citizen ship she can't get it.
          2. You can't get Dutch citizenship by just marrying a Dutch citizen, you have to live for at least 5 years in The Netherlands regardless if you are married with a Dutch citizen or not)
          3. Her marriage will most likely not be recognized as 15 year olds cannot legally get married.
          4. Her "husband" doesn't live and/or work in The Netherlands, so she is not allowed to live there (that is if she loses her British citizenship, else she could potentially live anywhere in the EU until at least Brexit, but on the other hand EU member states have the right to refuse citizen from other EU member states if they are criminals or terrorists)

Conclusion she is fine where she is now and let's hope she stays there forever

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            1. Netherlands does not allow dual citizenship, so as long as she holds on to her British and Bangladeshi citizen ship she can't get it.
            2. You can't get Dutch citizenship by just marrying a Dutch citizen, you have to live for at least 5 years in The Netherlands regardless if you are married with a Dutch citizen or not)
            3. Her marriage will most likely not be recognized as 15 year olds cannot legally get married.
            4. Her "husband" doesn't live and/or work in The Netherlands, so she is not allowed to live there (that is if she loses her British citizenship, else she could potentially live anywhere in the EU until at least Brexit, but on the other hand EU member states have the right to refuse citizen from other EU member states if they are criminals or terrorists)

Thanks for your help in 1704!
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

My comfort with anything is not relevant here. My only interest in commenting on this case is from a pompous holier than thou perspective.
              ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                ftfy

Yeah, sorry I’m not barking at your dog-whistle.

Comment

Yeah, sorry I’m not barking
                  Opinion is divided.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Not until I'm in receipt of my shiny new passport! The wife has one, my little boy has one and very soon I'll be just like Old Greg, a Plastic Paddy! I genuinely hope I won't be as much of a twunt but... who knows?
                    Being in receipt of the passport doesn’t matter. You’re in the same legal position wrt citizenship as Begum is - British citizenship with entitlement to another citizenship whether you take it up or not.

Sorry, but you have fewer rights than a U.K. citizen without entitlement to another nationality - your citizenship can be removed by the Home Secretary unilaterally.

I can feel the rebel songs coursing through my bones!

Mind you, I already know most of the songs from kicking Paddy's front doors in after a couple of tours in XMG and rapid response out of Aldergrove - oh and Meridian, that is playing the hard man, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shaunbhoy wasn't one of the scalies that helped us right the wrong and sing the song.
                    Yeah, that’s harder ;-). You might have bumped into a couple of people I know (friends of friends type). They were “ahem” stationed in Armagh for a while.....

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

Netherlands allows dual citizenship to those born with it. The sprog, under UK and NL law is both British and Dutch.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X