• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The death of the SatNav?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm kind of interested to see how this kind of thing comes along (displaying an overlay on the windscreen, augmented reality stuff)

The free iPhone app that turns your entire WINDSCREEN into a sat-nav device | Daily Mail Online

And then there's utterly bonkers stuff like this:

Automotive Night Vision Enhanced by Near-Infrared Technology | Features | Oct 2005 | Photonics Spectra

Basically I want nightvision and augmented satnav in cars so I can pretend I'm Michael Knight.

Comment

I respect my privacy and don't want the Americans to know where I'd been for my punts.

Got an inbuilt Satnav in the car and I update the maps regularly.

Wonder what smartphone users do when they are negotiating a tricky city and the phone rings at the wrong moment!

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        I respect my privacy and don't want the Americans to know where I'd been for my punts.

Wonder what smartphone users do when they are negotiating a tricky city and the phone rings at the wrong moment!

Ehh? Dont take the call.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

You can set your phone to ignore calls or automatically redirect them to voicemail while you are driving.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Ehh? Dont take the call.
            You thick or sumat?!

A call moves your app into background.

Comment

You thick or sumat?!

Be fair.

He maybe one of those oldies.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Be fair.

He maybe one of those oldies.

Comment

You thick or sumat?!

And..........? Are you fat in your brains as well ?

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    And..........? Are you fat in your brains as well ?
                    Smart phone screen with Satnav

Smart phone screen with an incoming call:

Whose arse would you be driving up now?

Comment

Good replies cheers,

@VectraMan

I was a bit "Anti-Satnav" to begin with, I think Steve Coogan summed it up best in The Trip Series 1, "It's not about the destination, it's the journey".. which I do agree with, but more for when you're planning a day out. Get the AA road atlas out, and see what looks interesting on the way or in the area, that's one things I found lacking, there's no equivalent of all the yellow "Attractions" boxes on SatNavs, save downloading POI's for each category.

But I was a swift convert to them when I had to negotiate Leicester City Centre to find a Travellodge, after a 3 day music festival (we stayed an extra day). That was no fun at all without one. Just being able to look at a screen and know where you need to be aiming for is priceless in an unfamiliar city (which is most of them to me).

OK I'm gonna check out the Android/try some Apps method, has the TomTom software come on in the last year or so? When I did try it, it had all the feel of a clunky port from the dedicated boxes, it wasn't slick at all. But Google Maps seems to be getting more 'cluttered' I feel?
                      Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Working...
                      X