• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The death of the SatNav?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed reading maps so was a late adopter of satnav. In urban areas, satnav is unbeatable. Still keep a paper atlas though. From best to worst:

1. Built in: Great. Plus: everything. Minus: Hard to update, maps often old.

2. Dedicated device: Very good. Plus: portable, easy to update, convenient. No network dependency.

3. Smartphone: adequate. Plus: portable, easy to update. Minus: Network dependency, privacy issues, not as convenient as dedicated.

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
      "Software Handbrake" - How is this progress? (And I'm a Softie). True story about my mate and his 14 plate Vauxhall Insignia lease car and it's software handbrake, he was on a site visit, a few minutes later one of the bosses pats him on the shoulder:

Boss: Is that your Vauxhall Insignia outside?
      Mate: Yes, why, is it blocking someone in?
      Boss: No, it's rolled down the hill and hit one of our wagons.

Turns out (though Vauxhall denied it) there's a known software fault in that it randomly decides to let the brakes off.

Call me old fashined, but I think I'll stick with a cable and ratchet mechanism.
      Yep. Now imagine 'electronic steering lock' and hold that thought for a moment.

Comment

I still just use a map - perhaps there is a point to sat nav if you do a lot of urban journeys in unfamilar locations but personally I prefer to be in control of my destiny - YMMV
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
          I still just use a map - perhaps there is a point to sat nav if you do a lot of urban journeys in unfamilar locations but personally I prefer to be in control of my destiny - YMMV
          I use a sat nav and a map.

Sat nav for urban areas.

Map to know where the hell I'm going.

Sat navs are set to take the quickest route but they don't always take the easiest route when the difference in time is 2 minutes.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X