• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway car choice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It does if you are all inclusive. I'd be pissed as a fart by now.
    I like your style!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I agree with DaveB on the passat BM TDI. Before RR I drove a Passat CC BlueMotion and it was absolute bliss. Consistent 60+ mpg on motorways (I used to shuttle between Leeds and Newbury) and extremely reliable.

However, nothing beats a Range Rover sport on long runs

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
        Why spend decent money on something that will suck up the miles? I'm doing 140 miles a day, bought a 56 plate Mondeo mk3 at 100,000 for 2.5k. It will probably be nearly dead by the end of this contract but is roomy, comfy, diesel, high mpg and pretty nippy. Does the job.
        +1 to this - in 2011 I switched jobs, losing my company car so I picked up an emergency "tulip, need a car" £2.5k Mondeo. It'd done 50,000 miles and needed £500's worth of work to get on the road (Exhaust and tyres).

I scrapped it last year with 130k on the clock - excluding consumables (Tyres, brakes and oil) it cost me a total of an extra £500 through that time and never missed a beat until the injectors went last year and I chucked it away.

In the end, I actually wound up really liking the car - to the point where my next one may be another.

Comment

I'm using a Mondeo although it's not the best MPG at only 46ish, it's perfect for the weekly 200+ each way runs I've done for the last few years. Comfortable, quick, roomy and reliable so far on an '09 plate.

I can't be bothered with anything with an expensive badge (at least for the time being).

Comment

vwdan / TykeMerc

Any trouble with the DMF (dual mass flywheel)?

Comment

Get an auto and something big and comfortable . Driving is a chore these days with rammed roads and comfort is the order of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
                vwdan / TykeMerc

Never heard of it so nope.

Comment

If you don't care about premium badges, Mondeo is great for motorway miles munching. Or try a Mazda 6 (previous model if on a budget).
                  Both are roomy, comfortable, reliable and have the best driving fun of the previous-model non-premium saloons.
                  Are you a loser?
                  Didn't do too well at school?
                  Can't make it in the most dynamic economy in Europe?
                  No good with women?

Then VOTE UKIP! We'll make you whole again

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
                    vwdan / TykeMerc

Oh balls, yeah I'd forgotten about that. Yes, it needed replacing and wasn't particularly cheap. Another 500 or so, but they're on most cars now.

Comment

Thanks folks. Altought my heart says BMW 350 my head says Mondeo now. I could get a contract in a year round the corner and I have a expensive car sitting in the drive.

Looks like I can get a decent Mondeo for 2.5-3k. Will post some pics when I get it.

Comment

Working...
                      X