• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its Dead Jim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Advice please; a friend has a hard drive that has failed, and as is the norm in these situations: he has realised that it holds all his photos & he has no back up.

Can anyone recommend a data recovery service, as in a send it off & pay for it as he has minor IT skills?

Thanks
    I would have helped you if it was your own!

Comment

Just how knackered is it?

(1) PC won't boot - often the HDD is corrupt, has some bad sectors and lots of stuff can be recovered (I have tools to do this)

(2) Hard drive has been removed then connected to another PC as an external drive, and nothing - oh dear, professional service required

The "freezer" trick usually only works if the drive is/was doing the "click of death" which your friend might not have noticed.

If (1) then go here: Unformat and File Recovery Software for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Windows7/Windows8 it really works.

EDIT: I've saved lots of people's photos using this software but still have never turned up any "candid" shots.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        That won't fix a shagged disk...
        Obviously. But if the OP doesnt want to stick it back int he case.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Not cheap. Never understand why people rely on just one disk. Get google cloud or something - you can get tonks of storage for about £2 a month.

Remember when my mrs was in college. I used to force her to back up her college stuff. Of course not everyone did this. One of her classmates lost her disertation the day before (Stored on usb drive), no backup, shes was in college bawling her eyes out.
          Not everyone is IT literate. I don't know what's hard to understand about that? Just because you might be doesn't mean they are. By that thinking I have a professional attitude towards my client.. So everyone else obviously does... You see the flaw.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Not everyone is IT literate. I don't know what's hard to understand about that? Just because you might be doesn't mean they are. By that thinking I have a professional attitude towards my client.. So everyone else obviously does... You see the flaw.
            NLUK - Im sure you could start an argument in an empty room....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              What were you smoking/drinking for lunch?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                NLUK - Im sure you could start an argument in an empty room....
                Of course, why the feck is the room empty?

Comment

Working...
                X