• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Congrats to the winners in the IPSE elections!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Certainly not on here...

Invisible ones still do real work as well, so posting history is not all the story. But there are 3or 4 current CC who I've never spoken to...
    I've never seen it over there either.

They may still do real work, but how do I know if they deserve my vote the next time elections come around?

I don't really know if they are worth voting unless I see their history, and it they have no visible history I will probably not vote for them next year...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Certainly not on here...

Invisible ones still do real work as well, so posting history is not all the story. But there are 3or 4 current CC who I've never spoken to...
      I assume they actively avoid you in which case they've just gone up in my estimation..... :
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

What power?
        WHS. The CC has no actual power - apart from electing the board.

In the very short time I've been there, it does seem apparent to me that if people are concerned about stuff, then raise it on their forums. It would be much easier to raise a topic for discussion in the CC forums if there is evidence that it is of concern to the members.

For example, the thread this week about membership numbers. I've got lots of questions, but as no non-CC members have raised them, I can't really justify them as anything other my own.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I've never seen it over there either.

They may still do real work, but how do I know if they deserve my vote the next time elections come around?

I don't really know if they are worth voting unless I see their history, and it they have no visible history I will probably not vote for them next year...
          As some of the results show, being active on the forums doesn't make that much difference - if it did, one person would have done better than he did, and the anonymous elected members would never have come close.

A significant percentage voted by post, so whether they even came to the forums or not is a question that someone will be able to answer once the results are analysed.

Another interesting thing from the results was the absolute rejection of candidates who were not from the typical membership background, which to me at least sends a message about direction.
          Last edited by TheFaQQer; 23 May 2015, 09:44.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I wouldn't read much into that. That's probably just a case of voters voting for people like themselves as they make the numbers up to 13 votes...

Never read malice into something when there are plausible other options...
            Last edited by eek; 23 May 2015, 09:54.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              As some of the results show, being active on the forums doesn't make that much difference - if it did, some would have done better than they did, and the anonymous elected members would never have come close.

A significant percentage voted by post, so whether they even came to the forums or not is a question that someone will be able to answer once the results are analysed.

Another interesting thing from the results was the absolute rejection of candidates who were not from the typical membership background, which to me at least sends a message about direction.
              No, but I can't talk about other voters, I can only talk about me and I don't want to waste my vote on idiots who only get on the council because it might look good on said idiot's website (I can't think why else they would bother if they can't be arsed to actually contribute).
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                For example, the thread this week about membership numbers. I've got lots of questions, but as no non-CC members have raised them, I can't really justify them as anything other my own.
                Nothing wrong with our overlords and overladies raising questions that are of value, if the lowly herd are too slow or vacuous to think of them themselves

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Nothing wrong with our overlords and overladies raising questions that are of value, if the lowly herd are too slow or vacuous to think of them themselves
                  She did
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    She did
                    Although she's unclear of the value.

Comment

Working...
                    X