• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just overheard two permies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    If you can do 3-6 months, wtf can't you do 12?
    1) You get bored and leave

2) The project comes to an end when you have delivered what you are meant to deliver.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Aren't renewals at the same client more significant than outright time.? If a client renewed you, it proves they were satisfied. I mention renewals on the old CV, eg 18 months (4 renewals).

Comment

Have they been stung by the mercenary types giving no notice and buggering off? My client has but I'm certain it hasn't affected the interview process like this.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

it's a buyers market so the can
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Is it? That's not the case in my field....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Buyers market or not, it doesn't make it a good idea. Selecting contractors based on a completely arbitrary metric like that adds absolutely no value to the process. Taking it to a sort of logical conclusion - how many of the superstar freelancers in your industry (The people who are invited to talk at vendor conferences, the people who always appear in search results, the people whose scripts/utilities you may use) will hang around at a client indefinitely?

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                Aren't renewals at the same client more significant than outright time.? If a client renewed you, it proves they were satisfied. I mention renewals on the old CV, eg 18 months (4 renewals).
                That's how I have got round lots of short contracts on my CV, I get the words such as 'returning', 'for the 3rd time', etc in as quick as possible. Pretty sure it does put some clients off ( and a killer if you ever contemplate Perm ).

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  Buyers market or not, it doesn't make it a good idea. Selecting contractors based on a completely arbitrary metric like that adds absolutely no value to the process. Taking it to a sort of logical conclusion - how many of the superstar freelancers in your industry (The people who are invited to talk at vendor conferences, the people who always appear in search results, the people whose scripts/utilities you may use) will hang around at a client indefinitely?
                  My current client are very suspicious of lots of shot contracts like this, and I agree with you that it's not a good measure.

My current client also doesn't really indertsnad the difference between a contractor & permie. They don't undertsand why someone wouldn't want to stay indefinitely.

With that being said - you do get contractors that manage to survuce because they just keep moving on after doing a tulip job. How do you filter these out?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    My current client are very suspicious of lots of shot contracts like this, and I agree with you that it's not a good measure.

My current client also doesn't really indertsnad the difference between a contractor & permie. They don't undertsand why someone wouldn't want to stay indefinitely.

With that being said - you do get contractors that manage to survuce because they just keep moving on after doing a tulip job. How do you filter these out?
                    Million dollar question, I guess. For exactly this reason, when I turned my CV into a project-focussed one I wound up having to squeeze in:

[End Client] ([Systems Integrator] via [Small Consultancy])

Because if I left out the "Via" bit, it looks like I'm never asked back and if I miss out the Systems Integrator I have to leave off big names in the industry.

I also wound up simply leaving off some of the smaller projects, or the ones I managed to interleave together. I tried explaining I'd been working on two projects at once to an agent and he thought I meant doing one on the weekend and couldn't really grasp that sometimes you don't need to be on-site for 40 hours a week.

Comment

I got my first contract because the hiring manager assumed that the two permie jobs I'd had just before, which lasted less than a year each, must have been contracts, so I must be a seasoned contractor.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X