• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bummed by the Banks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Halifax Clarity credit card in particular: no charges for purchases or cash anywhere in the world. The ATM itself may charge, and for cash you wil pay interest from the day you take it out, but it still beats the hell out of any other card I've found; especially outside the EZ.

Nationwide debit card used to be better, at least inside the EU, but now it has a fee; still better than most cards though. Nationwide credit card has no fee on purchases ISTR (and so is better than the debit card there) but has the usual CC fee on cash so not good there.
    Mostly right about Halifax Clarity credit card.

If you are in London and the South East get yourself a Metrobank account. Their debit card is fee free in Europe. You just need to go into a "store" with ID and you can get an account there and then with a card and online banking details. You then rarely need to go into a "store" again.

In regards to credit cards never use them to draw cash out of the ATM. Use it to pay stuff in shops, pay bills in restaurants etc in the local currency.

There are a few credit cards that are fee free for this - Halifax Clarity, Metrobank Credit card, Nationwide Select Credit Card and Post Office Credit card. Only Halifax Clarity and Nationwide Select are for worldwide spending.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Cash advance fee? (usually applies when using a credit card rather than a debit card to get cash)
      Visa Debit

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
        Visa Debit
        Most of the mainstream banks charge you a fee for using a debit card abroad regardless of whether it's Visa or MasterCard.

Comment

Yeah. My bank charged £4 and change. Visa charged £5.97.

Comment

Nationwide Flex Plus - tenner a month - but with (fairly ordinary) breakdown, travel insurance etc, plus some other stuff, no charges for withdrawals anywhere in World, not sure if exchange rate is most favourable but life too short for checking every tick...

Got when I was working in EU don't really need it now but what the hell....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Nationwide Flex Plus - tenner a month - but with (fairly ordinary) breakdown, travel insurance etc, plus some other stuff, no charges for withdrawals anywhere in World, not sure if exchange rate is most favourable but life too short for checking every tick...

Got when I was working in EU don't really need it now but what the hell....
              I got a Metrobank account for spending in Europe and it was free. Didn't need the other stuff.

To be honest a simple internet search for a well known money saving website would provide all the information you need for spending in Europe and Worldwide. I did leave out Saga Cards as I'm not in that age group.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Mostly right about Halifax Clarity credit card.

Mostly? Which bit did I not get right? Serious question.

Comment

Working...
                X