• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will a robot take your job?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just realised that study was contained in the main article. It's been going around for quite some time now. Deloitte also did a piece on this. Funnily enough, in terms of the referenced Oxford study, computer systems analysts rank very low with regard to susceptibility to automation.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 4 June 2015, 19:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
      Just realised that study was contained in the main article. It's been going around for quite some time now. Deloitte also did a piece on this. Funnily enough, in terms of the referenced Oxford study, computer systems analysts rank very low with regard to susceptibility to automation.
      Analysis can't be automated, code monkey work that has already been offshored is rather easier to automate
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Analysis can't be automated, code monkey work that has already been offshored is rather easier to automate
        Indeed. There's actually quite a few IT/software jobs in there that have a low susceptibility to it, which make active use of coding skills, so I guess it's just a matter of how diverse your overall skillset is/can be.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          They were teaching the use of CASE tools when I was at Uni, I've never actually seen them used in anger since.
          I've seen them used in a number of places. Where they're sold as "you don't need developers anymore", they fail, because you still need to understand how to program to use the tool effectively. Where they're sold as tools to speed up developments, then they're rather more useful. A decent IDE is essentially a CASE tool.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I've seen them used in a number of places. Where they're sold as "you don't need developers anymore", they fail, because you still need to understand how to program to use the tool effectively. Where they're sold as tools to speed up developments, then they're rather more useful. A decent IDE is essentially a CASE tool.
            Yeah, I remember RPG as the language that would eliminate programmers. I made quite a good living out of it in the 70s and 80s.

Comment

For the love of God take my job you little tin b@stard

Comment

Working...
              X