• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What were you good at when you were younger ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    What were you good at when you were younger, but are now past it ? Something you were really proud of, but now you cant do any longer.

Not the age related stuff, like running the marathon or playing footie, but other skills or traits that have fallen into disrepair.

I used to be an ace calligrapher. Italic writing and illumination, but I did a birthday card recently, and to be honest. it was cr@p
    Masturbation. Sigh.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Art, particularly drawing.

I won a competition run by the Evening Standard when I was about 17, the only thing I ever entered.

I've hardly drawn anything since my early twenties. Just the odd characatures on birthday cards, genitalia scribbled on walls, that kind of thing.

Comment

I was an ace chess player at school.

But then at uni I encountered players who could defend, wait for a slip then pick me off. I lost interest when I realised I wasn't invincible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
          First in ART in my school year aged 12 and I made it on Tony Harts Gallery.

Those drawings are still probably better than - most of the stuff in Tate Modern -
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
            I was an ace chess player at school.

But then at uni I encountered players who could defend, wait for a slip then pick me off. I lost interest when I realised I wasn't invincible.
            So was I, I forgot about that. I won the first-year championship. Chess didn't involve kicking a ball around on a field though, so that was that.

Comment

Chess, pool & karate. I don't do them anymore.

On the plus side, I'm a cracking good foosball player, better than when I was younger.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Masturbation. Sigh.
                plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Got to Grade 5 on the Viola. I was a first violin in the school orchestra when the school acquired two violas and me and another musician were told to transfer over because we had the longest arms in the string section. A mixed blessing, there's very little written for viola and ensemble parts tend to be an afterthought (we were always the ones going rest-cha-cha rest-cha-cha in the waltzes) On the other hand, there is permanent shortage of viola players and I got into the local combined schools orchestra, for which Grade 8 was the usual minimum, which was an experience….

Nowadays, a bit of MIDI composition and air bass guitar playing ….
                  My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                    First in ART in my school year aged 12 and I made it on Tony Hart's Gallery.

oh I came over all NAT then, sorry!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Fourier surfaces. I had a complete understanding of them when I did the end of semester assignment. Couldn't remember how to do them at all when studying for the exam four months later. I suppose I should have gone to my tutor at that point, but I was young and stupid.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X