• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best TV service for someone who rarely watches TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I'm calling it a day on all the SKY channels, I used to watch a lot of films but I can't get 5 minutes since fatherhood, the sports are now too expensive, BT want another fiver a month next season for Europe. Time to call it a day. I'll probably save about 800 quid a year.

Comment

Cheers all. Bit of hmm about Netflix and Lovefilm there so maybe Freesat and Amazon might be a good combo. Still got a sat dish on my wall after all.

PS Darn it forgot to log out of my Sockie. But it was obviously me anyway. Isn't he sexy?

Comment

If you go for Freesat with the Freetime UI, you'll get the warm, comfortable feeling that comes from knowing your set top box is running code I worked on (gig in Cambridge the other year)

http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/freetime

EDIT: typical session getting HD simulcasts displaying correctly, using a test transmission from the future (see timestamp in upper left of screen):

Last edited by NickFitz; 20 June 2015, 22:14. Reason: Pictorial evidence

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Steptoe View Post
          Cheers all. Bit of hmm about Netflix and Lovefilm there so maybe Freesat and Amazon might be a good combo. Still got a sat dish on my wall after all.

PS Darn it forgot to log out of my Sockie. But it was obviously me anyway. Isn't he sexy?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            I find Netflix a tad limited for content and new additions - I've heard ours is but a pale imitation of the USA offering - also the menu imho is pants
            YMMV of course but I tried Amazon Prime first and couldn't find a single thing to watch, and with my TV's somewhat outdated internet video the interface was terrible and the picture quality poor. On Netflix I've got loads of stuff in my list to keep me busy for months, and since I got a Chromecast it plays in proper HD (5.8 Mb which is more or less as good as Sky) and I can control it from my Android tablet, which is brilliant.

I'm only keeping Sky for the F1 coverage at the moment, but I think when the season ends I'll probably ditch it. The other slightly annoying thing is that a lot of the free channels (Film 4, E4, ITV 2/3/4 etc) are only in HD on Sky.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              I find Netflix a tad limited for content and new additions - I've heard ours is but a pale imitation of the USA offering - also the menu imho is pants
              I used netflix with a vpn service so had access to the US stuff, can't remember it being that much better - but that was about a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                If you go for Freesat with the Freetime UI, you'll get the warm, comfortable feeling that comes from knowing your set top box is running code I worked on (gig in Cambridge the other year)
                Did Humax intentionally make their units look like a fisher price toy? its a bit sad I know but I'm not placing a boiled sweet lookalike on top of the Panasonic HT, do like the Humax 1800 but too few applications for it.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

We use Amazon prime & blink box, covers what we need
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

I have a BT box - which gives all free BT content + freeview - could upgrade but I am tight

Amazon Prime on PS4 - agree not much new to watch but plenty of old stuff

SKY on PS4 - using one of my brothers sky go accounts - useful if you have a friend who is willing - you can get up to 4 devices rather than 2 for an extra fiver a month.

Having said all that I rarely watch TV for anything other than sports - mainly the kids watching Disney channel.

Also think I will just extend my BT subscription to get European football rather than paying the fiver a month

Comment

prime , freeview & freesat.

plenty to watch.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X