• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bad week for moneygrubbers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I didn't know the details, but the idea seemed good - what was bad about it other than it having the word "Green" in it?

My most vocally pro-Green, left-wing mate was also saying on FB that GD was bad, so it seems to have upset everybody!
    There were many bad things about it.
    poorly planned, poorly implemented.
    If you want to get a loan to improve energy efficiency, get a loan. If the savings are really there, it's a no brainer.
    We had a new boiler and insulation put in, the savings = zero. In fact the house gets unbearably hot in the summer and I may have to get A/C. savings <zero.

also (from the green angle) the idea that these deals will reduce carbon dioxide emissions, they wont. they cant.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      It's been a bad week, maybe a bad month for rent seeking, subsidy slurping, Green wasters.
      Green?

Fossil fuel companies are benefitting from global subsidies of $5.3tn (£3.4tn) a year, equivalent to $10m a minute every day, according to a startling new estimate by the International Monetary Fund.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

the Guardian ?
        well they would say that, wouldn't they
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

If you want to get a loan to improve energy efficiency, get a loan. If the savings are really there, it's a no brainer.
          That's exactly what the Green Deal was. To be eligible, the savings over 25 years had to be greater than the cost. Where it came unstuck was the need for an assessor to make a visit and approve the application, at the householder's expense, and the punitive interest rates charged, 8% from memory.

Comment

the Guardian ?
            well they would say that, wouldn't they
            I am just utterly floored by that devastating and detailed rebuttal. And it was the grauniad reporting on a study by those hippies at the IMF.

How Large Are Global Energy Subsidies?

Comment

The assessors were mostly untrained, ignorant and often knew less than their customers. They also represented a lot of those fabled 'Green Jobs' we keep hearing about
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                I am just utterly floored by that devastating and detailed rebuttal. And it was the grauniad reporting on a study by those hippies at the IMF.

How Large Are Global Energy Subsidies?
                you clearly do not understand what a subsidy is. get yourself educated man
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

you clearly do not understand what a subsidy is. get yourself educated man
                  Me and the IMF. Never heard of an 'externality'?

Comment

Stern is a joke, his report is a joke.

Now get back when you understand what a subsidy is
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Stern is a joke, his report is a joke.

Now get back when you understand what a subsidy is
                      What has Stern got to do with anything? About as relevant as bringing in Lubos Motl.

The IMF define a subsidy on Page 5 of their report. Which is free, online, and available by clicking on the link I just provided.

Comment

Working...
                      X