• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Burglars caught..0 Golliwogs caught..3

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I live at number 99. Bugger.

However this gives me an idea. I'll swap the number on my door with number 98. If they complain about the theft of their number I won't have to worry about prosecution because the police will think they're in an odd numbered house.

This is a good plan!

My house only has a name

It's quite an odd name, but is it too odd

Comment

As you might expect from the wretched apology for a newspaper the Telegraph has been reduced to nowadays, both the headline and the general tenor of the story are utter bollocks.

All burglaries were investigated, but some in odd-numbered premises didn't get a visit from a forensic examiner, unless they involved a vulnerable person, or there were obvious signs of evidence to be gathered, or there was a pattern of similar crimes in the area. And it was only a trial, which has already ended. And it had no discernible effect on detection rates.

As a Leicester resident at an odd-numbered address, I'm not actually that bothered now I know the facts of the matter. I'm more pissed off with this crappy government for cutting funding to the police service so much that it has to waste time buggering about with experiments like this, particularly given that the hypocritical Tory bastards love to present themselves as "tough on crime".

You can get a more balanced idea of the facts from this report in the local rag: Police accused of ignoring odd-number home burglary victims | Leicester Mercury

The reporter who wrote that is a pub acquaintance of mine, and unlike the shoddy hacks at the Telegraph he's a competent and trustworthy journalist. (I'm not so sure about the sub who write the linkbait headline.)

Comment

Working...
      X