• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car quandry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    What you got? I'm looking for a second hand porsche cayman <25k.

I am, honest, I was waiting for someone to mention cars just to say I'm going to buy a porsche. Obviously, some twat will turn up now and say you are not a proper contractor if it's second-hand, bastard.
    07 Cayman S, manual. Less than 40k on the clock, which mattered more than the age to me. Got it from a main Porsche dealer so paid a bit more than I was thinking of doing but a friend got a 911 from a second hand car sales place and they weren't that knowledgeable about Porsches. Drives like a dream and the power is there right through the range. Going to potentially see how budget goes and PG's Skoda advert may have persuaded me to keep it on and buy something less grand than I was planning on.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

A're lass

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        07 Cayman S, manual. Less than 40k on the clock, which mattered more than the age to me. Got it from a main Porsche dealer so paid a bit more than I was thinking of doing but a friend got a 911 from a second hand car sales place and they weren't that knowledgeable about Porsches. Drives like a dream and the power is there right through the range. Going to potentially see how budget goes and PG's Skoda advert may have persuaded me to keep it on and buy something less grand than I was planning on.
        I know this is boring but what's the running cost like, servicing? I'm looking for something around 40k miles, but newer, possibly 09/10.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I know this is boring but what's the running cost like, servicing? I'm looking for something around 40k miles, but newer, possibly 09/10.
          I'm getting 25-27mpg but can get it much lower if I wanted too

Not had a service yet, only got it 10 months ago. A new set of tyres will be a grand, I know that much. I'm planning on maintaining the main dealer history so I expect servicing to be at the top end of the price range. Could have gone for a 55 plate Bentley or DB9 but the fuel economy was much worse on those.

To be honest, I may hang fire and get the new model Cayman in 3 years when they're around the £30-35k for the S. The 2.7 engine is nice but the 3.4 is something else.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

S6? The v10 sounds epic!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...?atmobcid=soc3
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I like that power, but the OP is trying to kick his power addiction?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Jag 4x4 then win/win, think they have some Chelsea tractor in the works too.
                I use a jag for long distance motorway travelling (500 mile round trip each week), and a Rangerover to tootle around the country roads in Devon.

Apart from anything else, sitting higher in the seat is handy for seeing over tall hedges to check there isn't a real tractor round the corner!

Trouble is, the Rangerover tyre treads were borderline when I bought it earlier this year, and I'll probably need four new ones to pass its imminent MOT, at probably a good £400 each or more for premium tyres!

(I wouldn't consider anything less than tip-top brand new tyres, or I'll have to buy another set next year too! )
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Reading threads like this always brings on the inner turmoil of "I could get one of those" versus "No. Stick with your boring old fart car for another five years and pile extra into your pension".

But life is so short.

I could retire earlier if I didn't get one.

It'd be nice to have one though.

Ad infinitum.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    I use a jag for long distance motorway travelling (500 mile round trip each week), and a Rangerover to tootle around the country roads in Devon.

Apart from anything else, sitting higher in the seat is handy for seeing over tall hedges to check there isn't a real tractor round the corner!

Trouble is, the Rangerover tyre treads were borderline when I bought it earlier this year, and I'll probably need four new ones to pass its imminent MOT, at probably a good £400 each or more for premium tyres!

(I wouldn't consider anything less than tip-top brand new tyres, or I'll have to buy another set next year too! )
                    Make sure that when you get the tyres replaced that you get the tracking sorted or you'll need a new set of boots within the month!

Hope that saves you a few quid.

Spod.

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
                      adaptive cruise control - that is all
                      +1.... oh and lane assist to do some of the steering for you...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X